Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Survived

I made it. I had 2 kids under 2 years old and I lived to tell about it.

Seriously, it is very demanding having two kids so close in age. And unless you've done it, you have no idea. Having 2 kids is tough enough, but try having one who just completed their first birthday and then a newborn. Lucky for me, Princess didn't regress much when Fatty came along... except for the occasional cries for attention, drinking from his bottle, etc. Nothing I had to worry about.

Now that Fatty is past the year mark and Princess is chugging along towards 3, it's a little easier. But let me tell you, those first few months were tough.

I never thought I would be one of THOSE women. You know the ones. The women with 2 little kids dragging down their hems, one barely walking, the other barely talking. Or the women with both hands tied, one baby occupying one arm, a toddler in the other. Or the women with a baby strapped to their chest (or back) while the toddler grabs on to their hands. Yup, those women. Biting off a little more than they should chew. Yet there I was, one of them. One of THOSE women. And I admit, I LOVED it.

I'm glad I have a little expertise on both ends of the parenting spectrum when it comes to being a mother to children of different ages. Of course, like I mentioned a gazillion times before, Boobie and Princess are 7 years apart. That jump from once child to 2 was a cake walk. However, when it came to take the plunge (and I mean that literally) from 2 children to 3, well that was a whole other story. That my dears, was like making souffle (and I don't really care too much to bake).

I figure it was that much more difficult because of the age of my second child. After all, I'll say it again, Princess is just shy of being 17 months older than her baby brother. Barely even putting sentences together when she had to share mommy with the new kid on the block.

But I survived it. The subtle signs of sibling rivalry and jealousy. I managed to get them on a semi-schedule to keep some semblance of my sanity. And I was very lucky Fatty was a fairly easy baby.

Now, as they get older, Fatty being more mobile, a lot more vocal and a hell of a lot more active, life is falling into place. He's no longer 'the extra kid', the 'intruder'. He's a huge part of the family and a great playmate for Princess.

Watching them play together, seeing just how happy Princess is to have someone she can 'hang with', it's like having diamonds in my back yard. Seeing the look on Fatty's face as he jumps on his big sisters back, pulls hair, or slaps her face (playfully) makes it all worth while. I am so glad I had them so close together. Boobie was a loner for most of his life, being an only child for so long. Princess and Fatty are built in playmates; insta-friends. I look forward to the squabbles to come, as they are inevitable (they already have their fights now). But they play so beautifully together.

I loved having two kids under 2. It was what kept me going, as I do love a challenge. I enjoyed finding ways to cope... how to change both kids, feed one while breastfeeding the other, entertaining 2 kids at the same time, cuddling with both. And lets face it, bath time with both was a lot more fun (and much easier), plus it allowed for a photo ops.

Most important, I survived the battle. The bedtime battles, nap time battles, meal time battles, bath time battles, early morning and late nights. I survived. And I look forward to another day with my now two kids under 3.

No comments: