Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dance Moves

Learning a new dance move is hard, especially when you're trying to teach yourself.

I am a dancer. Not professionally or anything. It's just in my blood. I danced in high school, took classes, did performances and such, but never really pursued it much after I graduated. Except for the occasional party, I really didn't have much time or energy or motivation to work on my dancing.

But I LOVE to dance. I hear a song and in my head I am making up dance moves to go with that song. I hear a song and my body automatically starts moving with the beat. I am a rhythm machine. Any chance I get to dance I take it. But I've never actually performed in public, like a well put together dance routine.

Until now. I plan, if I can muster the strength and get the moves down, to perform a well put together dance routine at my big 30th birthday party bash.

Today I started seriously practicing and trying to put together a few moves. My 2 songs of choice so far are by Beyonce, Crazy In Love and Single Ladies. If and when I get these two songs down with the right moves (some copied, some my own), I might throw in a reggae tune in there to show case my uh, hmmm, Caribbean roots. LOL.

It is tough let me tell. Not having the right dance space to practice is hard. Dancing on tile floor is not ideal at all. And using the laptop to copy moves is not easy either. But I will get it done. I've been slacking as I wanted to at least be halfway though my routine by now, instead of just starting. But things are looking up. I learn pretty quickly and being in shape helps a ton.

I hope it all goes as planned. Wish me luck.

No comments: