Friday, April 28, 2017

Not A Party

We celebrated my daughter's 10th birthday this past Wednesday and I cannot believe my little princess has grown up so fast right before our eyes.  Where does the time go?



This year, we're doing something very different from the norm and not having a party. Instead, we're having a small celebration with a few friends at the park.

Now, this may be cheating a little bit with the 'it's not a party' idea, since we will be having cupcakes and treat bags for the kids to take home.  But it's definitely not a party that I would normally host. There is no decorating involved.  No piƱata (say what!).  And most importantly,  no stress!  Yes, NO STRESS!!!!

This idea is so genius I can't believe I didn't think of it years before.  No extra money was spent renting out a party hall.  Just a simple gathering of close friends at the park for a picnic lunch of hotdogs and a few snacks.  Kids get to run around and just play, letting off some energy and parents can just chillax at the park and shoot the breeze.

I don't have to stress about who's coming and RSVP's.  I don't have to spend hours on party preparations. I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to decorate.  I can just relax and let the day take shape.  All I have to hope for is decent weather and we'll be happy.

As per tradition, we did go ahead and celebrate my daughter's birthday on her actual day of birth with a trip to the movies and dinner at one of her favorite places in the mall.  She even got a few gifts because what is a birthday without a few presents to open.  She just wanted to keep things simple this year and I have to say, I don't blame her.  It was time to switch things up a bit.  I'm glad her and I could settle on what to do to celebrate her birthday without the big 'to-do' of an actual party.  She gets a simple celebration and a fun day at the park with her friends and I still get to plan a celebration for her special day.  Plus I didn't break the bank doing it.  I call that a win-win situation.




No comments: