Sunday, May 3, 2020

A Dream I'm Glad Came True

Before my kids started at their new school (almost three years ago) I dreamt of being a homeschooling mom. I wanted to homeschool my kids because I was seriously unhappy with their old school. I thought homeschooling would solve a lot of the issues I was having with their previous school, mainly the scheduling and dealing with staggered hours. Both kids entered and were dismissed at different times andI hated that.

I thought I might even have a little more control of what they were learning in school and of course I would be able to set our homeschooling times and be on a sort of flex schedule.  However, after researching homseschooling options in Costa Rica, I was informed no such thing existed.  Homeschooling was not recognized in Costa Rica and was in fact illegal. My dreams were dashed.

Fast forward a few years, and a change of school.  I love my kids current school and the thought of homeschooling them never crossed my mind again.  That is until the pandemic hit and shut down the entire world. All schools were closed and all parents essentially became their kids' teachers.  Everyone in the country and the world is now being homeschooled.  In a country where homeschooling was previoulsy illegal, they found a way to allow students the ability to do school work from home.

So now I am an unofficical homeschooling mom.  I have all the benefits of having the kids at home, setting our own hours and having a flex schedule and basically being in charge of my kids learning. But I do not have total control of what they learn as we are distance learning and having to follow the curriculum set by the ministry of education and the school.  I can't say I am complaining.  I am glad I got the chance to homeschool the kids and see what it is all about. It's nice being so involved in the kids' daily learning and being in constant contact with the teachers is a nice change of pace. But I also will be very happy when they all go back to school.  Mama needs some alone time and a couple of hours at home by myself.

No comments: