Friday, October 6, 2017

Getting Organized For Christmas

Now that I don't have any more birthdays to celebrate, I can now start planning for the upcoming and fast approaching holiday season.  Yes, it is that time of year again when we have to start thinking about Christmas: gifts, traditions and budget.

I like to get a head start of the season for many reasons.  Reason number one, I have 4 children I have to buy presents for.  Reason number 2, we are a large family with one income so we don't have a big budget or a lot of extra cash for the holidays; that means lots of planning and preparedness is key to make our dollar stretch.  And reason number 3, I like to enjoy the season and not be stressed so planning ahead and having a game plan for how I want the season to go helps with that.

This year, we're keeping our traditions the same, just changing up the budget a little bit.  I like to keep Christmas simple and I try not to go overboard but as the kids get older, I realize budgets tend to grow as the gifts they want tend to be a little more on the expensive side.  So this year in anticipation of that, I have increased the budget to $200 per child.  Making a budget and getting an early start on the season not only keeps me accountable and helps me keep track of how much I'm spending, but it also prevents me from over spending.  It is very important for me to stick to an overall budget while making sure that I keep the gifts at an even number for each child.

So I went through my gift stash to take stock of what I have on hand and what I need to buy.  I made a list of gift ideas for the kids and I have the kids' gift wish list as well, to give me a better idea of the gifts they are asking for and really wanting for Christmas.  Having this list will keep me on track and help me keep track of what I am buying and what I have already bought so I don't overbuy, which goes back to not overspending.

I find this time of year so much fun,  What with Halloween and Thanksgiving around the corner, there is so much to look forward to before we hit the yuletide season smack in the face.  And if I plan to enjoy every minute of the holidays, It's always a good idea to have a plan.  Now, plans don't always go as planned, but just a relative idea of what I want to get done and how I want to get things done is enough to keep me sane this season.

Along with a budget in mind and my list, I have also started shopping and stashing away a few gift items.  It is never too early to start shopping for Christmas and just the rush of knowing that I have gotten a head start is enough to make me want to stay organized and keep on top of my plans for the holidays.  With September now behind us and October almost coming to a close, I look forward to all the shopping sprees and holiday activities in my future.

No comments: