Friday, June 28, 2013

Fun Baby Stuff

So one of the best parts about being pregnant (again), is baby shopping.  Baby stuff is just so darn cute (why do they have to make them so darn cute).  Makes me want to get everything... but as a 4th time mommy, I know what I need and want and what I can do without.

I have been watching tons of you tube (love you tube as you know) about baby nurseries and best baby items.  It's hard to not want what others have, especially hearing them rave about how great a product is.  Plus, with so many new baby products on the market right now, it's hard to decide if I want to try them out or forgo them since I didn't need them or know about them the first 3 times.

I have heard a lot about certain products, namely a teether called 'Sophie the Giraffe', who parents RAVE about and a stuffed sheep that plays various sounds, called the sleep sheep.  I doubt I'll get these, even though it seems like everybody and their mama has them.

I also hear a lot of brand names being thrown around, like Aiden and Anais?, a company that makes blankets.  I heard they are the best around.  And is it me, or is almost everyone these days using cloth diapers instead of disposables.  I admire those moms who are cloth diapering but I know for sure it is not for me.  I grew up in a era/country where the only diapers were cloth and having had to wash a few, I have to say, never again (although I have a washing machine now, I just don't have the interest in it).  I love some of the names for the diapers though, like Bum genius.  How cute is that?  And I am in awe of how knowledgeable those cloth diapering mamas are... with all the inserts and all in ones and such (direct lines from you tube as I know not what these mean).

Also, with all the stuff, well, you need a place to put it all and many people like to put the stuff in a decked out baby nursery.  I knew once I figured out the baby sleeping situation that I was not going to go all out with decorating a room for an infant.  I did it with my daughter.  I have had my fill.  But wow, are some of those nurseries nice.  Makes me want to reconsider some days... so I think I can compromise and do some decorating but still stick to my guns by not going overboard.

After much time on the net looking at baby stuff, I had to make my list of what I would want for the baby besides the usual and necessary items like diapers and wipes, which I'll wait to buy after my baby 'sprinkle' (a new term I picked up on a website about smaller type baby showers).  I figure stuff like blankets and bibs can be bought in the later stages as they are less pricey, plus I have a few that can hold me over until baby comes so I am fine.  It is true that babies don't need much anyway, just to to be fed, held and changed every so often.

What I want to focus on are the bigger, more expensive baby items I will need for baby.  So far, we got the bouncer.  Love bouncy seats and the one we have has a vibration button, which I think is essential for a fussy baby.



the bouncer we bought in a different color scheme


We got a bath tub, which I am in love with and cannot wait to use.  It comes with a newborn sling, which is nice.  And even though it was on the pricier side of what I wanted to pay for a bath tub, I figure I'll get a good couple of years out of it (it says birth to toddler...which is longer than most baby items lasts.)


the Summer Infant bath tub we bought

We also got the playmat gym, an essential item in my house with an infant.  We lucked out and found a very affordable one at the most unlikely of places: Bebe Mundo.  I say this because Bebe Mundo is a baby store much like Babies r us, on the pricier side when it comes to baby items.  Somehow they had affordable options for us less well off folks.  I cannot wait for baby to use the playmat.


Becca Baby playmat... we have different hanging toys

We also got the pack and play.  We opted NOT to get a crib so the pack and play was the BIG purchase for us.  I wanted an all in one, with bassinet and change station but wanted one that was affordable.  The ones we saw at Universal were pretty spendy, at $200+ a pop.  We lucked out and got one at Bebe Mundo for around $180.  I know I could have found one cheaper (I got one for Princess for around $50 at Pequeno Mundo but it was not as nice as the one we purchased.)  It comes with a little mobile, a place for diapers and wipes and the best part, a music station so I can play songs for the baby or let the bassinet vibrate.  And of course it grows with baby. After baby gets too big for the bassinet portion, he can use the play pen portion until he's about 2, at which time we can get him a toddler bed.

our pack and play looks similar to this, different brand though and more vibrant colors


And the last item we bought was the high chair.  Not that baby needs a high chair right away but we just could not pass up the great deal at Bebe Mundo (color me surprised again), where we spotted a super neat chair for less then the almost $200 price tag we saw them for at Universal and other boutique type stores at the mall.


our high chair is an Infanti brand in different colors, but similar to this in style

We figure we'll go shopping once a month or so and pick up items we need until we're done... hoping to get 2 or 3 items in each trip.  I mean, I love to shop.  And baby shopping is just so much fun.  What better way to gear up for baby than buying cute things you now your baby will love?

No comments: