Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Crying Over Spilled...Milk?

 You know how the saying goes, the one in the title? We all know it's not a literal phrase but more of a figurative explanation for making a big deal over nothing. 

Well, yesterday I was crying, kind of, over spilled milk. I didn't actually bawl my eyes out and I didn't actually spill any milk but I was teary eyed and on the brink of a major melt down over the linen closet.

Yes, you heard that right. I cried over a linen closet. So let me explain. As in my previous blog, I explained that we are currently building our dream master bathroom and it's coming up on the last few days left in the construction process.

I have communicated every little detail to our contractor with photos, the best explanations I can manage with my broken Spanish and even a Sims mock up example of what I want. This bathroom is costing us an arm and five legs so we want what we want. As they say, do it right the first time; do it once and do it right.

With a detailed photo and my explanation in hand, I thought the contractor got the idea of what we wanted for our linen closet. I mean linen closets are pretty self explanatory right? Except in a place like Costa Rica, where linen closets are pretty much unheard of and not common at all.

He understood that we wanted a piece of furniture made to put in our bathroom as kind of a "makeshift" closet, if you will. Even after all my explanation and photos and mock up, that was what he took away from our numerous conversations. Granted, there is a language barrier as my Spanish isn't as polished and he doesn't speak or understand English but I thought we understood each other on some level.

When I found out what he ordered for our linen closet, I was devastated. After everything, I wasn't going to get what I really wanted and would have to settle for a furniture piece instead of an actual closet. I knew the building process could be stressful and I knew we would hit a few road blocks. Issues and misunderstandings are bound to arise. Like with the flooring, making a last minute change in the placement that saved my sanity.

 But this particular misunderstanding really pushed me to the edge. To give our contractor credit, he wanted to fix the issue and come up with a solution that would make me happy. And maybe the solution would have been nice but I just really wanted that linen closet.

This is what I wanted and the original photo I showed to the contractor with a detailed explanation 


The following photos are ideas of linen closets I was willing to settle for if possible, without the drawers of course.









Of course I complained to hubby, who came in like a knight in shining armor and saved the day. After a much detailed conversation, we are now able to hopefully get the linen closet I wanted and at a cheaper cost. Updates to follow as we head into the home stretch of our bathroom renovation. 

No comments: