Friday, September 13, 2013

Hospital Experience

I have to say I was not too disappointed with my hospital stay this time around.  The staff was nice, cordial and friendly.  And the food was top notch...they feed you good food and often.

From the time I checked in until the time I checked out, I had a pretty good stay at Calderon Guardia public hospital.  There are things I still don't like about the public hospitals here but I will get to those later.  Here is a list of my positives:

I) They allowed hubby to stay with me the entire time I was in labor (not sure why he was not with me when I was in labor with JC).
II) I was able to achieve semi privacy in my little bed quarters with the curtain partisans.
III)  The staff was really nice.
IV)  They allowed me, actually suggested that I take a warm shower to help with the contractions.  I was able to take a nice warm shower for 30...just letting the warm water run over my back and belly.  Loved that...AND hubby was able to be with me in the shower room to keep me company.
V)   The doctor was funny and responsive.
VI)  The room was comfortable and I liked the view... bathroom was big and spacious.

Some things that need improving:
I)  The staff gets busy and can seem unresponsive, especially when it comes to personal requests like getting you water.
II)  More privacy... I don't like being lumped into a corner with a million girls.
III)  The hospital needs a makeover... a little sprucing up could make a big difference.  Just because it's public doesn't mean it has to look so run down.
IV)  The visiting times.... only 1 hour for visiting patients while on the maternity floor.  And of course, significant others not being able to sleep over.
V)  Boredom:  No TV to watch.  Baby sleeps all the time and no one to talk to for the most part.  And not having a magazine I can read to pass the time.  Plus, not having a phone:  Boredom.
A side note:  not being able to bring in 2 bags is kind of ridiculous.  I had my hospital bag and baby's diaper bag and could only bring in one... they told me to put my stuff in a black plastic bag.  Odd.  I guess if I had brought in my bag with me when I checked in, I could have avoided that issued.

I am sure I will think of more things for both lists later but that is what tops my list for both positive and negative experiences at the public hospital.


No comments: