Friday, February 10, 2017

Back...To...School!!!

The time has finally come for the kids to go back to school.  How fast vacation time flies.  The kids went back February 6th after roughly 2 months of 'summer' break.  A 'summer' break where summer never officially arrived.  Oh well, at least we went to the beach, twice!

 So far, we survived the first week of classes and I have to say, not bad...not bad at all.  There are quiet a few changes to the back to school routine this year that will take some adjusting but so far, so good.

First off, the kids are on different schedules this year.  With my daughter in 4th grade, she goes in at a different time than my son who is in 3rd.  That means I have to get up early everyday, no off days. And the kids never get to actually see each other at school.  I am NOT a fan of this set up at all...but I gotta roll with it as that is the public school way of life here in Costa Rica.

Also, the kids are not taking the school bus this year, which I have to say I am pretty thrilled about.  I am officially a 'minivan' carpool mom.  Although technically I don't drive a minivan, I have become THAT mom, where I'll be spending a lot of time in my car shuffling kids back and forth to school.  I have to make 3 trips to the kids' school everyday:  once in the morning for the 7am drop off, pick up and drop off simultaneously at 12pm and another pick up trip at 5pm.  It's gonna be a looooong year. But at least I don't have to stand outside in wacky weather for up to an hour some days waiting on the kids to be dropped off by the bus.   I'd say that's an improvement, seeing as the kids' school is about a 10-15 minute drive away.

I have to admit, I was seriously dreading the new school year what with all the new changes about.  Not to mention I am not a fan of homework or exams.  Oh, and the getting up at the crack of dawn isn't my favorite either.  Oh, how I was wishing for the school year to be over way before it even began.  But I am hoping for the best and I do wish all my kids a successful (and speedy) school year.



No comments: