Friday, June 9, 2017

Being Present

It feels good to be present in my kids life.  It's one thing to tell your kids how much you care about them and how they do in school.  It's another to show them.  I have always been involved with my kids schooling and activities.  From the beginning, when my teenager was a kindergartner, I made it a point to be involved in his schooling.  If I can't home school, I figured I might as well take on a more engaging role at his school.

It doesn't have to be anything elaborate.  Just volunteering my time a few hours a month is just enough to show my kids just how much I care about what goes on with their schooling.  For example, when my 17 year old was in kinder, I was pretty much at his school on a daily basis volunteering my time in the library or cafeteria.  Recently, I participated as a judge in his school's spelling bee and before that in his school's science fair.  Same goes for my middle two children, who love having me come up to their school.  Last year I was a volunteer face painter at their school's kids day celebration.  And I even manned a table at the school's cultural day festivities, selling typical Costa Rican goodies, including a dish I made and donated.

Attending events and school activities is also a way I immerse myself in what my kids are interested in at school.  Just last week, I was one of the dozens of parents who attended the Student Art Festival and Talent Show, where both my kids were participants.  As a proud mother, I stood and watched my children do things that I never thought they would do in front of such a large group of people.  My son was in his class play, where he had a bit role but a role none the less.  And my daughter participated twice, dancing her typical Costa Rican folklore dance and then a dance number her and a few of her classmates choreographed.

My kids love when I show up and am present at school.  It makes them feel good knowing they have a mom who truly cares.  And I will forever be grateful that I am able to be so involved.  So many mothers and fathers miss out on what their kids are up to in school because of work or a busy schedule.   I know I am truly blessed to share these moments with my kids.  It not only creates fond memories for us to look back on but helps with the bonding experiences we share.

It might not seem like a lot being at my kids' school for something like an Acto Civico (a civic re-enactment of important events that occurred in Costa Rica), but trust me, it means the world to kids. Just being there and being present says so much more than words.

No comments: