Thursday, May 24, 2018

There Are Far Too Few Of Them

In my opinion, there are far too few celebrations going on these days.  I remember Hubby's family always had something they wanted to celebrate and that was how we would all come together to reminisce and spend time with other.  We are all busy but we would carve out the time to attend a celebration, a baby shower or a birthday party, because we wanted to see one another.  We could go months without any correspondence but come a party, we were there to spend the few hours together as a family, having a blast.  Times have certainly changed.

Everyone got even busier and the celebrations became few and far between.  Almost no one hosts parties anymore and we see each other even less.  There are a few family members I haven't seen in over a year, people I used to  see at my kid's birthday parties I don't get to see much at all.  If the celebrations stop, so does the togetherness and we lose sight of what is important in this world, spending time with family.

Now Hubby has a large family and they all have their own families that, of course, they spend time with on a regular basis.  But I have no family here I can count on seeing except my kids and the hubs.  I liked spending time with extended cousins and aunts and my kids enjoyed seeing other kids their age.

It gets even worse with friends, who have their own large families to tend to.  We try to make time for each other as well, but it gets harder as the kids get older.  So I was extremely happy when my friend invited all us 'amigas' to her son's baby shower.  It was a celebration we could all attend, coming together to spend the day with each other and catch up on the 'news'.  It reminded me of the good old days, when baby showers and birthday parties were the norm and we had one almost every other month to attend.  I soaked up the chance to just be in the moment with friends and hope it's not the last celebration we have to look forward to this year.










No comments: