Sunday, March 18, 2018

Looking Forward To A Break

Spring break is coming.  It's just around the corner and I cannot wait.  Technically, here in Costa Rica, kids don't get a Spring break.  The term they use is Holy Week.  Kids get a week off from school the week before Easter Sunday and Costa Ricans take the opportunity to go on vacation.  When you go outside and notice how sparse the streets look with hardly a car in sight you wonder if the entire country went to the beach.

For me, the school year has been amazing up to now.  I love the kids' new school.  I love the hours, the ethics, the workload.  I love it all.  It has been a good year thus far so it's not like I am in desperate need for a break.  But a nice week off will be a welcome change from the 6am wake up calls and the day in and day out routine of getting uniforms ready, packing lunches and getting homework done. 

The kids are anxiously looking forward to the week off, as any kid would.  A nice break from school work and just being at school in general will do them some good to unwind and relax.  More time spent in front of the TV or playstation I am sure.  But I will also make sure we have a few fun days outside, enjoying this warm weather we've been having.

As of yet, we have no plans for the school break.  My oldest son turns 18 on the 28th and that is a HUGE deal and a cause for celebration, but as it is HIS birthday and not mine, I await his suggestions of ways we can celebrate his 18th year of life.  We had plans to celebrate at the beach but as it is one of the busiest times of year for vacationers, we were out of luck finding a hotel at a reasonable price that was available.  Honestly though, it doesn't matter how we celebrate,  as long as we do and we will.  And we will also enjoy our Easter break, soaking up the freedom it brings.

No comments: