Saturday, May 30, 2009

Flash Back

Ok, so in order to move forward any more, I have to take a tiny step back and give some history. How did a Jamaican born, Boston bred city girl end up in Costa Rica? Well, it all started because of this guy... namely my hubby, Pablo.

When I met him, all he ever dreamed about was one day moving back to Costa Rica. That dream didn't seem so far fetched when I came with him for a visit in 2000. His sister was getting married and his whole family made it into one big excuse for a vacation.

It was love at first sight. We talked about moving back and even set a time line for 5 years. Our son, Pablito aka Boobie, would be 5 then. We hoped we would have saved up enough money to make the transition a smooth one. However, 5 years came and went. And the dream seemed like just that... a dream. There was barely enough money for us to make ends come together willingly, let alone money to set aside for a move of such epic proportions. AND one thing we did not want: move to Costa Rica and have to struggle there like we struggled in Boston. No thanks... I'd rather not.

Then everything changed, literally, overnight. It was winter, 2006, when hubby got the call. His father had come into some money and wanted us to move. He was building us a house and would help with the move. Let me just say the news could not have come at a better or worse time.

We were living paycheck to paycheck. Times were hard... and then to find out that we would get to have a chance at a better life in our OWN house with a YARD!!!!! I could not have been happier. But on the other side, I was deeply sad. Why? Because of my mom. I had not seen my mother in over 10 years. I got the chance to re-unite with her in the winter of 2006. We had big plans for our time together.. shopping trips, late night conversations on the couch, watching tv and chit-chatting, lunches out, movies in. It came as a shock to me when I realized I had to choose between spending extra time and trying to make up for lost ones with my mom or leaving my miserable life behind and taking a chance at a better one.

The choice was hard, but it really was a no-brainer. I crammed in as much time as I could with my mother. How does one make up for 10 years lost in less than 4 months? You really can't but I tried. Then I packed my bags and left. I was going through so many emotions. I was like a roller coaster. I was giddy, angry, upset, happy, full of regret, excited. Things didn't start out on a good foot when I got to Costa Rica either. I got terribly home sick. To make matters worse, hubby was still back in Boston. He was traveling by bus and wouldn't get to Costa Rica until July 4th. I had left Boston by plane on June 29th.

I missed my mom something awful. AND when I first saw my new house, I thought maybe I had made a mistake. It was SMALL! I hated it. It wasn't what I had day-dreamed about. Suddenly my dream life was slipping away. I cried most nights. Until Pablo made it to Costa Rica.

Things started looking up. I took another look at the house and it wasn't so bad. Hubby loved it right away. What was not to love. Aside from the fact that it was OUR house. It had three bedrooms, two bathrooms and an office. It also had genuine tile floors.. none of that linoleum crap that was so hard to clean back in our old apartment. I could come to love it, and I did.

So although my journey started out a little rough, I made it. And I haven't looked back since. I miss my family, no doubt. But I am glad I made the choice I made for me and my family. I really would have it no other way. Well, except for a second floor... in the three years we've been here, we've already outgrown the house.... 2 babies in 2 years and a 3 bedroom, 1600 square foot home can seem a little tight. ;)

No comments: