Monday, July 13, 2009

Don't Be A Quitter!

So swim classes started today and boy was it NOT what I expected.

The class was good. And the instructor was AWESOME. Not only does he speak English, but he is really great with kids. Proven many times over when he was dealing with my troublesome son.

Ok, so Boobie has been looking forward to swim classes for a while now. The last time he took lessons was at the age of 7, so he has not taken a class in a long time. He's been been swimming a few times every opportunity he gets, but I notice with him, that when it comes to certain things, if he doesn't keep at it, he easily forgets the skills he gained. He learned so much in his first couple of classes and I figured that if I don't want him regressing too much, it is time for him to continue moving forward.

I decided to sign him up at the pool in the center of town. My original plans were to keep him at the kiddie pool where he originally took lessons, but they were booked up. I initially wanted him to do the two week vacation course but since the instructor wouldn't be available next week, I was only able to sign him up for a one week session. I figured if he still wants to take lessons after this week, I can sign him up on Saturdays when he goes back to school. Luckily, it was roughly around $13 dollars cheaper for a week long session, so hooray for that.

At the start of his class, he was doing fine then, just about half way through the lesson, he decided he didn't want to do it anymore. He got out the pool and announced he wanted to go home. I guess I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was but I couldn't understand why he would take that attitude. Yes, it was the first day and it was exhausting, but he loves to swim so I was not expecting him to act like that.

It's just like him, though, to want to quit when something doesn't go his way or gets too hard for him. And I understand that feeling. But like his instructor said, life isn't like that. You can't always quit when it gets too tough. And I need him to understand that and learn to move forward even when he feels like giving up. Compared to his cousin, who also signed up for the week long course, he wa acting like a 'big baby'.

I just hope tomorrow's lesson goes better. I just need him to be proud of his efforts and not be so quick to quit.

No comments: