Sunday, August 19, 2012

Some Wedding News and Updates

I have thrown myself full force back into planning seeing as I have only about 3 months left until W-day.  I took a mini break due to lack of funds and lots of frustration.

First, the funds: due to my new job (YAY), I have been able to save save save like a working ant for the wedding day.  This allowed me to finally get a few major items checked off my to do list.

Second, the frustrating part is far from behind me but I finally got 2 major vendors booked!  The biggest vendor was the caterer. Oh boy, was this a hard to do to get done.  First, all the good caterers were out of my budget, even the budget ones.  Second, the ones that were in my budget were just too unprofessional for my liking.  I mean, I am hiring these people to cater a wedding, not a back-yard b-b-que; the least they could do is act interested in securing my business!  I had one caterer blow off 2 meetings with me and then told me to look for someone else when I asked if he wanted my business.  The other budget caterer would never return my calls and then turned out not to be too budget after all.  *Sigh*  I just wanted to give up and cook the damn food myself (yeah right).

After a much deserved break from planning, in comes this caterer from nowhere (not really sure how they got my name and number... maybe at the bridal expo).  Anyway, this guy kept calling me every couple of weeks.  He would ask me if I found a caterer and check in on my progress.  I must admit that at first he was just so annoying.  Then I decided since I was having no luck finding caterers, I would entertain him and ask for some info on his company.  Turns out their prices were pretty reasonable.  However, I wanted to play hardball because I saw how much he wanted my business (which was very refreshing).  I told him I had other caterers on standby with lower prices then his company (sort of true).

With that info, he talked with his boss and came back with a nice price offer I just could not refuse.  Even though his price is more than I really wanted to spend, his company is by far the most affordable caterer for everything they have to offer in the per person price package.  Also, the professionalism and attention to detail was really what won me over... I must say his persistence paid off and his willingness to please.  I booked with his company without even tasting the food.  Thankfully the food tasting was a big hit and I can say, I cannot wait for them to caterer my wedding.

Another major vendor I was losing some sleep over was the DJ.  At first we decided not to have one, but the extra funds are allowing us some nice luxuries we can add back into our budget, and a DJ was the first to make the cut back onto the list.  Hubby wanted to hire his friends brother, but after weeks of not making good on his promise to secure the DJ, I went ahead and did a search of my own.  I have a meeting this Tuesday with the DJ I decided to go with and I hope it goes well.  With the price and what is included, I think I am getting a great deal.

No comments: