Saturday, December 8, 2012

Wedding Expectations

So while the wedding exceeded my wildest dreams, there were still some things that were unexpected, as is the case with any large event.

First off, there were the inevitable no-shows.  However, there were also the inevitable people who don't RSVP but show up anyway, so it balanced out perfectly.

There were more kids than I planned for...but again, that balanced out itself as some of them were too happy and excited to eat (my own 3 kids skipped out on dinner after filling up on candy and appetizers).

Things did not go as planned and it was still all good.... no one would have known (well, except for the hour late start).

I peed on my dress.... OOPS! LOL

I ripped my dress... a minor rip than can be fixed.  BUT everyone LOVED it and all the girls kept coming up to me and telling me how I looked like a princess.  Thanks girls.

I wanted to make a personalized thank you speech that I typed out and then misplaced.  So I just spoke from the heart, with tears flowing.  It was more organic and real and so much more me.

I hadn't planned on or asked anyone to make a toast, people just knew to do that. They are all sweet and perfect.

There was thankfully enough alcohol.

I hadn't planned on spending so much money but my simple wedding was an extravagant affair that left guests in awe.

I wanted to take more photos of myself and of me and the groom.  But my relaxed attitude the day off made me too lax to care.

I forgot to video tape.  Well, I didn't forget.. I had my camera.  BUT hubby's friends were supposed to videotape and they forget to get tape.  I have no footage of the ceremony (which was funny and sweet and oh so perfect) or the reception, except for a few images of people eating... a quick video we asked hubby's cousin to capture. That is the ONE thing I would change if I could: get some damn video footage.

I wanted a warm, sunny day: what I got was an overcast and rainy one.  Thankfully it was just sprinkling  not a downpour and it was noticeably and thankfully warmer on my wedding day than it had been days prior.

I misplaced my sister's Nicholas Sparks reading and my personal vows.  Glad I did though (my vows) as I was too emotional to really speak and broke down when saying my I Do's.

The candy buffet was a hit and miss.  Kids started eating the candy even before we got there.  No one took candy to go in the personalized bags I had.  But it was all pretty much gone by the end of the night and so in that sense, the kids enjoyed it.  I wish they had taken some home in the bags though.

I am not sure how the cocktail hour snacks were set up... I didn't get a chance to see it or taste the goodies. They were all gone by the time the ceremony and receiving line was over.  I am glad people enjoyed it though.

The money dance was nice but not what we expected at all.  However, our gift table was overflowing, which was also something we were not expecting.

The decor and the food were both magnificent... exceeded our expectations.  The centerpieces were a 1000 times better than we could have ever imagined and guests raved about the food.

It was quite simply, the wedding of my dreams.


No comments: