Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksksgiving 2013

With a new baby, the last thing I wanted to do was host a huge Thanksgiving dinner like I've done in the past.  I wasn't even sure if I would host Thanksgiving at all.  But at the urging of my kids, I decided to go ahead and "just do it".  I was only planning on having just us and the in laws, but my son P wanted me to invite more people.  I was hesitant to do so, but decided to go ahead and invite the usual guests.  I have to say, I am so glad I decided to host the day as it was just amazing.

There was so much food, as usual.  I cooked the majority of the meal and as tradition would have it, my guests also brought along a dish to share.  There were about 18 of us total, including a few kids (which made for a magical night for my kids, who played to their hearts content).  The food was delicious and there was an abundance of it, which caused everyone to stuff themselves to the brim.  Each guest also took leftover some leftovers home.  My menu included:

Brined Turkey rubbed with herbed butter and roasted to perfection
Garlic and herb mashed potatoes (the boxed variety that was actually pretty good)
Rice, which no one touched because my mother in law also made rice but all the better for me for leftovers
Gravy, instant with added turkey juice for more flavor
Green beans with cream of mushroom sauce.  I love green beans so had to have 'em
Tuna pasta salad
Mac and Cheese, Kraft of course

My mother in law made corn bread (the boxed kind from Price Mart that is so so good.) Tamal Asado, a corn based pudding that she makes very well and salad.  Her friend, who helped to host my baby shower, made her fabulous cheesecake.  Hubby's cousins brought Chicken enchiladas, plantain and tuna salad and spaghetti.  There was just so much food and then there were my desserts.

I made:
Cheesecake bites (just simple cream cheese, sugar and eggs and a cookie crust: super simple, super yummy)
Apple Pie, made from scratch of course
7 layer magic bars, the bars that are truly magic
Oreo truffles
Banana nut raisin bread
And my son P, the future baker who helped withe the Oreo truffles, made turkeys from Oreo cookies and chocolate.

There was also my mother in law's famous fruit juice (she makes the best fruit juices) and I made sparkling Lemonade. Seriously an amazing and wonderful time and one of the best Thanksgivings ever (it just gets better every year).

The dishes I made (from top left: zucchini curry, mashed potatoes, tuna pasta salad)
(From bottom left: BBQ carrots, green beans, mac and cheese)

Oreo turkeys


7 layer magic bars

Banana bread

Cheesecake bites

Apple pie

Oreo truffle balls

A Thanksgiving pic

4 of my favorite people 

Baby A's first Thanksgiving



Kids Thanksgiving pic

And kisses for the baby


The Turkey.  Pay no attention to the side leg that I taste tested hehehe

Having dinner




The cheesecake mother in law's friend made

Dessert time



No comments: