Tuesday, February 26, 2019

This Digital Age

I have no phone.  No cell phone that is.  In this day and age, being without a cell phone makes me feel helpless.  In a sense, that rings true for me as a mom of 4 kids with busy schedules and a sometimes hectic life.  I have school groups and extracurricular groups to keep up with. If there is information of importance to be shared, it is shared through the group chats and without a phone I am lost.

For instance, last week there was a last minute schedule change for the kindergarten class and I had no idea.  I showed up to drop my son off at the normal time only to find out kids were supposed to enter about 2 hours earlier.  With only 40 minutes left of school, I dropped my son off but I was not happy.  No phone meant I was clueless to the new time change and so my 5 year old suffered for it.

I also use my phone to film my You Tube videos. My channel has become a part of my life and I have been pretty consistent with my uploads, at least one video a week.  Without a phone with an HD camera, I am unable to film or upload videos and that stinks.

So, to remedy the problem of me not having a phone, I went right away to find out how much it would cost to have mine fixed.  To my unpleasant surprise, fixing my 2 year old phone would cost almost as much as buying a brand new one.  Well, maybe not almost as much, but pretty damn close to half the price of a new phone.  So hubby convinced me to just get a new phone. However, that poses it's own set of problems.  First, money is tight right now and buying a new phone was not a part of the plan for me nor a part of my budget.  We could potentially buy a new phone just an older version for a pretty decent price but I guess hubby doesn't think that's worth it.  A newer model phone, essentially an upgrade of what I had would cost a bit more but in the long run would prove best.  But of course it comes at a price.  A not so cheap price.

I knew I'd need a new(er) phone eventually, but I was hoping to hold out until next year.  I wanted to save up and do a bit of research and get a phone I know I would love.  For me, I don't care about the latest bells and whistles.  I just need a working phone with a good camera and the ability to roam the internet.  I have my work cut out for me.

No comments: