Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Having A Sick Kid At Home

As parents, we hate it when our kids get sick.  We hate it even more when they are little and they get sick because they just look so helpless and more often than not, there isn't much we can do but let the sickness run it's course.  That is, if it's not life threatening and doesn't require a hospital visit. 

This past weekend, my youngest baby, my 5 year old got sick.  Not gravely ill, but sick enough to spend his entire Saturday in bed and most of Sunday on the couch recovering from a fever, sensitive itchy eyes and a terrible cough.  The school had sent home a notice advising parents of a virus going around and if kids exhibited symptoms to rush them to the clinic for testing.  I was worried and looked for signs of the virus.  But thankfully all he had was the fever and the couch.  Nothing more serious to send me crying for help to the ER. 

Due to him being sick all weekend, looking a bit pallid and not eating much, I decided to keep him home from school Monday.  He still had a lowgrade fever even though he was almost back to his old self.  But I didn't want to risk sending him to shcool less than 24 hours after being sick.  After all, my baby's health comes first.  Besides he can miss a few days of Kindergarten. 

Monday night, I was fully prepared to send him back to school Tuesday, but one look at his face Tuesday morning and a palm to his forehead told me he was not ready.  Better to be safe than worried.  So here I am again, day 2 at home with my munchkin.  Thankfully he's not lying in bed sick, not wanting to eat or drink like he was on the weekend. He's eating, he's up playing and watching TV.  His eyes aren't as sensitive  as before and he seems in good spirits.  I'm really hoping he's well enough to go back to school on Wednesday or I might just have to head to the clinic after all.  Until then, I'll nurse and baby him with some medicine and lots of hugs.  After all, nothing makes a child feel better than the love of a mother.  Am I right?

No comments: