Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Planning The Perfect Quarantine Birthday Party

 It's birthday time again, which rolls around quite often for me due to having four kids and birthday time usually means planning some kind of celebration.  Whether it's a huge party, a fun adventure or a weekend trip away, some planning usually goes down when it comes to birthdays around here.  

If it's a party, I am typically elbow deep in the planning process by now, writing my guest list and making and sending invitations.  I would have already searched the web for party ideas related to my theme, had some sort of menu in mind and mapped out how I want to set up the decorations. The venue would be set and prepaid for and my room would be over-run with party essentials.  I would be a little stressed but having a blast at the same time.  Party planning is fun for me and the actual party itself is usually a huge hit because of my careful and diligent planning process.

If it's a fun adventure, there really isn't much planning involved. As the kids get older, they tend to prefer a fun experience of their choosing like heading to the roller skating rink or the trampoline park followed by dinner at their favorite restaurant.  Of course, I would still try to do something extra special like put up a few balloons or some other decorative accents for the day. Then we would end the celebration at home with cake and a song.

If we end up taking a birthday trip, there is some planning involved, just of a different kind.  Hubby and I would research hotels and fun activities to do with the birthday child at their vacation destination of choice.  These are the kinds of celebrations hubby prefers as it's not only a celebration for the birthday child but a fun family bonding experience as well.

And no matter which type of celebration we choose, I also like to do something extra for the kids at school.  With the teacher's permission, I usually bake a few cupcakes and include the entire class in a quick birthday celerbation for each of my children, while they still let me.  It's fun for them, feeling extra loved on their birthday and it's fun for their friends getting to share in their day.

This year, birthdays have been even more low key than normal.  I have done my best making the day that much more special,  catering each celebration unique to the child. But with my two oldest, that was easy.  With my 6 years old's birthday coming up, he has been looking forward to a party and that just isn't really possible.  So to make up for that, I have decided to have an intimate gathering at home, giving him the party he wants just on a much smaller scale. 

We've picked the theme and I've chosen the color scheme.  I've bought a few decorations and will be keeping the food simple by ordering out as there won't be too many people to feed.  And as for cost, since I won't have a large guest list, I won't be spending money on goody bags, favors or professional entertainment.  Planning the perfect quarantine birthday party is challenging but it can be done. My little prince will have his special day and I get to plan the perfect celebration despite the circumstances.

No comments: