Monday, April 9, 2012

Venue Down!

So the ceremony venue was not a big deal to handle. I finally decided to have it in our backyard. After-all, we have a pretty nice yard and it's pretty big too. So why not? It took me a while to warm up to the idea, I have to admit, but the more I thought about it, the more the idea seemed genius. I don't have to pay a fee to use my own backyard (all I need are a couple of rental chairs and I am good to go.) I am sure hubby will spruce the yard up for the big day. Just hope it doesn't rain.


As for the reception venue... well it took a little longer than I would have liked, but we finally booked a venue for the reception portion of our wedding. See, I was still in fantasy land and wanted the whole wedding in one place (to make it easier on our guests and on us). But all those kinds of 'all in one' wedding sites were a bit out of our price range, so I started looking at reception halls instead (I could rent a space and do with it what I will). I found Sala de Eventos San Antonio on a yellow pages type of web site for Costa Rican wedding vendors. It was perfect. BUT, pictures do tell a thousand lies so I had to go and see it for myself.

Well, the pictures did not do it justice. At first, I was not (and still am not) impressed by the outside. I was a bit turned off actually and prepared for the worse (and for my search to go on and on and on ....). Well, I walked into the space and it blew my mind and literally took my breath away. It was gorgeous. Don't get me wrong, it's not super fancy or anything (that is NOT the look we want), but for the price and the proximity, it felt like it was too good to be true. I mean the space is HUGE. Big enough for 250 people (so yeah, my 150 guests will have plenty of space.


Also, not only is the space huge, it's amply equipped. There are 5 (yes, FIVE) bathrooms, a room upstairs (loft style) for the bride, and disco/DJ lights. Plus a kitchen at our full disposal. It could not have been more perfect. But for some reason, I waited and held out for something.... more! I guess the one downfall was the outdoor space. There is none... just asphalt to park a few cars. No garden, no frills, nothing.

I thought, if I could find this space with an outside I could boast about, then I'd be golden. But there was nothing. And I had to tell myself I was not settling. I had found perfection already. After deciding on having the reception in our backyard, San Antonio seemed more and more enticing. I dreamt about it at night. I day dreamed about it during the daytime. I pictured my wedding there, my guests, the set-up, everything. And even though it's an affordable option, I did not want to picture myself anywhere else even if I had the money to splurge. So I made the decision to finally book the space and reserve my date officially. I am so excited.

The one caveat: the date hubby wanted, which was a Saturday, was already booked. So I booked on my original date, our 14 year Anniversary, November 25, 2012.

No comments: