Friday, April 8, 2016

Immigration Issues

Whenever you decide to travel for an extended amount of time to another country it's good, especially if you have never been to that country before, to familiarize yourself with the laws and rules to make sure you don't accidentally break any.  It's also good to know a little bit about the place you tend to spend a good chunk of your time.

If you are thinking of relocating for good (or even for a short time), make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before you go.  When I decided to move to Costa Rica about 10 years ago, I didn't do much research.  I had ties here already (Hubby's family) who I thought for sure could help facilitate my move and make it a smooth one.  I had no idea, however, how long it would take for that to happen.

Finally, after all these years, I am in the process of getting my legal status and getting my permanent resident papers.  It was a process, let me tell you, but I hope in the end it will all be worth it. As a "tourist", which is what I still technically am, I can't work here legally or get insurance.  I have had three children here and they gladly and without much hassle gave me medical care.  But as for going and getting a regular checkup, that has to come out of my own pocket.

The biggest drawback for me (because, honestly, I am a stay at home so I don't need to work and I willingly pay for doctor visits as I prefer private anyway) is I cannot leave this country.  If I so much as step foot on the other side of any border (Panama or Nicaragua), I will be banished from entering this country for about 10 years (maybe even more).  So it is imperative for me to get my legal status in order so I can travel, mainly back home to visit family in Boston.

There are loads of websites filled with a ton of information on the immigration laws in Costa Rica, so do your research.  Also, contacting an immigration lawyer for information can be beneficial as some of the info on certain sites can conflict with one another.  Once you do have all the info you need, then it becomes easier in figuring out what you need to do (and all the paperwork you need to deal with) for a smooth transition and trouble free relocation to Costa Rica.

No comments: