Friday, April 22, 2016

Potty Training Success??

I believe I may have just potty trained my 4th child.  At just 2 and a half years old, I think my youngest is already, for the most part, already potty trained.  And it feels so so good.

So in the beginning, I was really dreading this potty training process. I had been through it already three times and know just how difficult it can be to try and potty train a toddler (a stubborn one at that).   He was very much against the potty at the very start.  I knew he needed to be toilet trained as he would go hide to do his business and hated for anyone to see him go number 2.  But each and every time I tried to put his booty on the toilet he would scream bloody murder and even hold his poo for days.

I left him naked a few times and also put on cute undies on him and he would still stand with legs apart and piss all over the floor.  He was not ready in my eyes so I gave up many times.  I was just not feeling the whole potty training process and strongly believed that when he was ready he would go to the toilet (I was hoping magically).

Well one particular incident happened about two weeks ago that really pushed the potty training process full sped ahead and led mr. toddler to start using the toilet.  We went to a baby shower and because of whatever unforeseen circumstance, he needed to go but the bathroom was occupied so he pooped in his diaper (he was still wearing a diaper back then.)  However, the diaper did not contain his excrementals so the poo ended up all over him (his shirt, his back, everywhere.)  He was not happy and very uncomfortable and I was very not prepared (I didn't bring a backup diaper, no wipes, no change of clothes, nothing.)

Hubby changed and cleaned him up, and had a long talk with him (how do you reason with a 2 year old?) And then put on his shorts and a sweater (his shirt was pretty soiled).  He did not have on a diaper and for the rest of the duration of the time we spent at the shower, maybe another 2 to 3 hours, he remained dry and seemed content.  So I ran with it (I guess the heart to heart from daddy worked).  I decided from that day on to not put him in anymore diapers.

So far he has done really well.  He did have a few accidents and still has a hard time pooping in the actual toilet but we've gone a full week without accidents and he still remains completely dry overnight which is amazing.  For him to be nighttime pottery trained was something I didn't think would happen so fast.

I really don't want to jinx myself but there is no turning back now.  He pees in the toilet, sometimes he will go and do it all by himself with not much help from me, which is amazing.  And most times he lets me know he has to pee.  He has gone #2 twice and I am looking forward to the third, just to solidify the fact that he is completely potty trained, so we'll see.  But he is off diapers and loves wearing his underwear, all before his 3rd birthday.  Now that is success to me.

No comments: