Thursday, April 28, 2016

Ready To Go Back To Work?

Am I ready to go back to work?  I don't know.  And when I say back to work, I mean in general since I didn't really have a real steady job before.

I love my life as a sahm (stay at home mom).  It is my dream 'job', to stay home and raise my kids.  And my hubby loves me home.  I take care of all things to do with the house, the kids and their school and me being a sahm makes dealing with all that 'stuff' much easier than if I was a working mom.  BUT, I was planning on starting working as soon as my youngest was in school, which was in 2013.  However, best laid plans tend to go astray because, that was also the year we had our BIG surprise baby, which meant no working for me (not while taking care of a baby and now a mom of 4 kids).

So I decided, yet again, to just stay at home with my kiddos (and I was not complaining).  But money is TIGHT with 4 kids and three of them being in school.  There is a lot to consider like activities, school supplies, fun outings, clothes, medical stuff, etcetera.  Having just one small income sometimes just does not cut it.  Let me tell you, a budget is your friend.

Now, I am not gonna cry poor.  I have a pretty blessed life. I do get to stay home with my kids.  And they do get to do a ton of fun activities (some of them free thankfully).  We do have fun family outings to the movies or the park or even to a nice restaurant.  We still get to do fun things as a family even on our small income, but we have to budget.

Last year we went on an amazing family vacation: 7 days at 3 different beaches!!!  It was amazing.  We ate out every day for lunch and dinner.  We did a bunch of fun actives at the beach as well, like snorkeling, kayaking and jet skiing.  We also celebrate all the kids' birthdays either with a really special fun activity or a party.  We give our kids a lot, more than most (a nice Christmas, Easter).  So we make what little we have work.  But the time has come to look at our bills, our debt and our income. With all that in mind, it just makes sense for me to help out a little financially. I mean, my poor hubby.  He essentially has two jobs: the day job that pays the bills and his other job, which is more of what he wants for his career.  But it still just isn't enough.  There is just a lot we want to do or need to do and can't do because, well, the funds aren't there right now.

So we talked and I have been more or less looking for work from home jobs (part time) just to bring in a little extra money.  Now, I am not pounding the pavement or the internet searching for jobs; it's more like if I get one I get one, if I don't, I don't.  But I am looking and if I get one, I will take it.  The baby will be 3, so I have a little bit of extra time on my hands where I might be able to get some actual work done.  And working from home gives me the best of both worlds.  I would still be home with my kids and I wouldn't be spending extra money on commuting to and from a job.  Also, part time gives me the flexibility to still do all the things I need to get done as a mom on a daily basis but with just some more money in my pocket.

I did officially apply to one job I found online, a law firm from New York.  I hope it's a good fit (if I ever get the interview).  I am nervous though, because working is working and add that to my already full plate makes me think I won't have any me time at all.  But I know I can do it.  And most importantly I know I am ready to do it.

No comments: