Friday, April 1, 2016

Baby Season

Baby season has arrived in Costa Rica or maybe it's just something in my head.  But it seems like there are a lot of people that I know that are pregnant right now: a neighbor, hubby's work friend and about 3 people in hubby's family (one just gave birth about 2 weeks ago).

I love baby season mainly because I love baby showers.  I love shopping for baby gifts (baby stuff is so CUTE).  I love attending baby showers because the food is always on point.  I love watching the mom to be open her shower gifts because I am nosy and want to see what she got.  And I love baby shower games (I may be the only person ready to admit this but I do.)

So when we got our first invite to the first baby shower of the season, I was stoked.  Well, technically it was the second invite but the other one was in Boston and of course, we couldn't attend that one for obvious reasons.  Then yesterday I got my second official invite (I had already RSVP'd to the Facebook invitation online).  So now I have to think about what I want to buy the baby for a shower gift.

I am always one to put a little thought behind my baby shower gift.  I have to admit I like when my gift is the best one (or up there with the best gifts, something the parents to be can truly appreciate).  If it's a family member I like to spend a little more money and thought on the gift (especially if I don't have to pay a fee to attend the shower...)

The first baby shower is this Saturday and I am pretty excited.  They are work friends of hubby's and I only met them once but this is the second shower we have been invited to by hubby's work friends. I like when co-workers include hubby in their personal lives, especially when it also extends to his family.  So of course we will be attending and of course I want to get them a really nice gift.

Now, in Costa Rica, people mainly gift clothes: it's easier, less expensive and it's something babies need and parents appreciate.  So with that thought, I don't want to give clothes.  I am pretty certain they will be getting plenty of tiny, cute baby clothes for their first born child.  For me, I like to gift outside the norm and get them other necessities like a baby bath tub or a huge box of diapers.  Or fun stuff like a baby gym or bouncy chair.

Now, I do have a budget and it's usually a little less for acquaintances and friends than it is for family members but with my budget, I tend to find a plethora of really cute and out of the box gifts for new parents, thing that other people would never think to give or things the parents themselves would never think to buy. So even though clothes are a necessary option, I want my gift to be just a little bit more special than that.  We shall see what I end up buying.




No comments: