Friday, March 24, 2017

Bad Things Happen Sometimes

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.  We crashed our brand new car!  And when I say we, I mean hubby.

In our experience, we just can't seem to keep a car looking new for long.  Before we know it, something always goes wrong.  This time, something went really wrong and now, we are once again without a vehicle for our family.

Thankfully, the crash was not that bad.  Hubby was with our oldest son and our youngest.  They went on an errand to buy our 17 year old his 'birthday' gift:  a playstation 4 slim.  The excitement was though the roof as he sold his Wii U to earn the money for the new gaming console, one he had been wanting for over a year.  And he was proud of himself that he was able to mostly fund the purchase all on his own.  

From what Hubby told me, they went and bought the console quickly and it was when they were heading home that the accident occurred.  It was a minor fender bender and no one was hurt.  But legally speaking, we're not sure how much this little accident is going to cost us, even though we have insurance.

To say it was a stressful night would be an understatement.  I was pretty calm as I had scratched up the car just a bit the day before and was freaking out myself about the cost of repair.  I took the car to 2 different mechanics to get a price quote on how to 'buff' out and repaint the front bumper.  My little scuff up was because I overestimated how much room I had parking into our little carport and rubbed against the wall, making a small and not so noticeable ding in the wall and a few scratches on the car that you had to get up close to see.  But that got me all shook up and made for a miserable day.  I could just about imagine how my hubby felt from his real accident, where another person and car was involved.

Thankfully, he took all the necessary legal steps you have to take here in Costa Rica; speaking to the transit police, the insurance and the dealership, as well as the lady whose car he hit.  But the unanswered question remains:  how much does insurance cover for the the other driver and how much out of pocket do we have to pay to get our car fixed?  The car doesn't even really look that bad to be honest, although up close it looks like we had a slight run in with a wall or something.  But the radiator was punctured, rendering the car pretty much useless as it cannot be driven.  We have to take it in on Tuesday, which was the soonest we could get an appointment with our dealership and it will take about a week to fix.

It has been a looooooong week, that is for sure.  With all the paperwork involved with this process, I highly doubt we're ready to see the light at the end of tunnel just yet, as someone mentioned we might have to go to court?  I am not too worried though, as I feel it will all work itself out in the end.  I just have to have faith and trust in a higher power.  As for not having a car for a whole week, well, that will suck.  But I have been without my own personal vehicle before so I can handle a measly one week.  Having to shuttle the kids to and from school on bus is no picnic, but it can be done... and besides, I have my mother in law's brand new car as a back up just in case.

No comments: