Sunday, March 12, 2017

Settling In

After a full month of the kids being back to school, I have to say we have finally settled into a routine.  So far, the kids have been liking me being their chofer and I have to say, I don't mind it at all so far.  I do have concerns about sick days, mainly mine, when I am too weak to drive them to school.  I feel like I should have a back up plan for those days, as I would hate for them to miss school on account of my illness.  But so far, things have been going smoothly.

I also love being able to take my 3 year old more places with me, as having the car at my disposal makes  running errands with a toddler tolerable.   And he loves coming along with me for all the mundane things I tend to do, like grocery runs.

Now I 'm not going to lie, I am pretty nervous about this school year.  With exams right around the corner, extra credit homework to be done and just school work in general, it is going to be a pretty busy year for my kids.  Every parent wants their child/children to succeed at life.  And to succeed at life, you have to succeed in school first.  So it is a lot of pressure.  As much as I dislike the public school system in Costa rica, I have to say that, thankfully my kids do go to a public school.  They are only in school for 5 hours a day instead of the typical 7 to 8.  And their course work isn't too overwhelming.  I guess my biggest beef, if you will, is how the public schools are set up.  But I am lucky the school my kids are in is not so bad and the teachers so far, from my own personal experience, have been wonderful.

I think that if I become more involved and stick to a routine that my kids can easily follow, the school year will be a success and not at all terrible.  Besides, the year will just fly by, like 2016 did and soon enough, it'll be vacation again.

No comments: