Sunday, September 22, 2019

An Emotional Independence Day


I usually don't put too much effort in celebrating Costa Rica's independence Day because, after all, I am not technically Costa Rican.  But because three of my kids were born and are being bred in this country, it holds a very special place in my heart.  Plus, you know, I live here too.   Celebrating independence day in Costa Rica comprises of so many traditional elements that it's hard not to get all caught up in your emotions.  This country is so rich with history and tradition that they take an entire month to celebrate the day, which is the 15th of September. 

This year, as with last, I had a kid in the school band; this time my 11 year old son.  And being in the school band meant being an integral part of the independence festivities.  The main purpose of the school band is to celebrate Costa Rica's independence in the big finale parade on the 15th.  Band usually starts at the beginning of the year, with after school practice sessions once a week.  As the parade draws closer, they start practicing during school hours a few times a week to prep for not only the parade but for the various other independence day activities throughout the month; a celebration at the local private school Colegio Monterrey and the lantern parade and celebration at their own school.  Not to be forgotten, my daughter and my 6 year old son also played their part in celebrating Costa Rica's independence.  All three kids were involved in some form this year and it made me one proud mama


Independence celebration at Colegio Monterrey

                         

Independence celebration and lantern parade at school



                            
The big Independence Day parade with the school band












No comments: