Saturday, May 5, 2012

Moulon Rouge-y


I knew I wanted to have a garter for the wedding, one for keeps and one to toss.  I also knew I wanted it to be my little something blue. But I have no idea why.  Where did the idea of wearing a garter come from?  I guess this is where Wikipedia comes in but before I could research it's origins, I went ahead and got my garters anyway. 

Now I know it can be embarrassing as your husband hikes up your skirt and showcases your bare thighs to your entire wedding party, grabbing your garter with his teeth (usually)... but it can also be fun if done tastefully.  It's not for everyone but it might just be for me... a little brothel type, moulon rouge feel for a few seconds at the wedding. 

I thought I wanted to buy my garters, so I looked for ones I liked.  I saw one for $11 at the bridal salon but figured I could find one a little cheaper, and so when I found one for $3, I bought it.  But I still needed one more, so I let my DIY persona take over. After all, for the price of 1, I could have made at least 6.

With my mother in laws help, I was able to make the perfect garter... now to decide which garter to toss (the store bought one) and which to keep (the DIY one). 





First thing I needed was some ribbon, which I got at the material store for less than .50 cents for the meter.  measured my thigh with the ribbon to see how much I needed and cut.  I did a simple stitch as a marker and to hold the ribbon together for sewing. I did sorta kinda follow a simple DIY tutorial on youtube, but not to the T, just the basic idea.

My mother in law took over here and used her machine to sew the ribbon and the lace together.  After she did this, she strung the elastic through and sewed the garter shut.

I glued the cute little bow and silk flower on the garter.  Final touch will be a personalized ribbon with our names and wedding date.


No comments: