Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Public Clinic

So I went to the public clinic to be insured and inevitably ended up having to be seen by one of their doctors. Of course I was nervous.  As I have stated before, I try and avoid the public clinics here as much as possible as I have not had the best experiences with them.  The staff always seem so uncaring and cold and a bit rude at times.  I was pretty much expecting the worst.  However, the appointment was not so bad.  I do prefer my doctor at Asembis, the private clinic I have been going, but I have to say, the appointment went off without much a of a hitch and I was in and out in record time. The only drawback: I have to re-do ALL the blood work I have already done.  I guess I don't mind as much but it is a little irritating.  I have another appointment next Wednesday and I go back to my doctor the Monday after that.  I will be at the end of the pregnancy by then, so hopefully I won't have to deal with anymore doctors appointments (well, prenatal ones anyway).

One thing to point out about the public clinic procedures here:  there is no number to call and just make an appointment.  You have to go to the clinic at the crack of dawn, before they are even open for business, to make an appointment for that day.  Not to mention you have to wait in a line as long as the equator.  It just makes no sense to me.  Why wouldn't they make things easier on themselves and on everyone else by having people just call a number to make an appointment?  Would that not be simpler?  Having people stand outside in line at 6 am just to make an appointment for the same day is just a little ridiculous to me.  But people do it because, unlike the well off, they have to.  People who can afford it, go to private doctors to avoid the hassle of public ones.  It's times like these where I do miss Boston that much more. Sigh!


No comments: