Friday, March 25, 2016

Happy Easter

It's Easter time already, which means Spring is in the air and summer is just around the corner (well, for north America... here in Central America Costa Rica, we are full bloom into summer and getting ready for the rainy season).  But all the same, that is what Easter time means to me.  Not to be confused with the real meaning of Easter, of course, which is the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Besides teaching my kids about the true meaning of Easter (I don't get too religious, just straight to the point), we have a  few traditions that I like to celebrate.  In my house, I like to make Easter baskets for the kids (which I try to keep simple but fun).  I also do a fun scavenger egg hunt along with a nice meal (french toast for breakfast and breaded fish or baked chicken for lunch).

This year I was ahead of the game with my baskets and got the majority of the kids' Easter goodies a few weeks ago.  I tried to stay within a reasonable budget, because as you may know, I am a frugal fanny.  I also tried not to go overboard (after all, its not Christmas).  I have to say, I think I did really good this year and am excited for the kids to receive their baskets.  As for the scavenger hunt, we do it a little differently.  The eggs are filled with picture clues that lead the kids to their hidden baskets and every year the kids have a blast.  My oldest son is too old to participate in the egg hunt but this year he'll help me hide them, which is a nice change.

Another change this year: I won't be making Easter 'brunch' because, as luck would have it, we got invited to hubby's cousin's house for Easter dinner where we'll color eggs and maybe do another egg hunt.  This is the second time we'll be heading to their house for Easter.  And I have to admit that I am SUPER excited about that.  I love celebrating the holidays with other family members when we can.

As for the kids' baskets, I need to toot my own horn and say the items inside are pretty dope.  For my oldest, who, like I said, is getting a bit too old for all this Easter 'stuff', I just made him a simple basket filled mainly with practical items like socks and underwear and a toothbrush.  And of course some candy, which is all he wants for Easter. I also was able to sneak in two DVD's that he's been wanting; Captain America Winter Soldier and Xmen Days of Future Past.

For the middle kids, they got a bit more of the 'fun stuff', because they are still little and they still love Easter and all that it entails.  I got them sidewalk chalk, a popsicle mold set, books, some chocolate, play dough, stamps, water bottles, some dinnerware items and a few items specific to their individual likes and interests.  My daughter, for instance, got a Sofia the first mini board game set and a Cinderella pen.  My middle son got some binoculars and an Antman lego set.  And the baby of the bunch, my 2 1/2 year old, got a snack catcher cup, a toy cell phone and rubber soccer ball.  I know they will love everything.

I hope you all have a safe, happy and fun filled Easter.   And may the good Lord bless you in all that you do.

No comments: