Monday, October 22, 2012

The Magic "Wedding" Bus

When I was younger and dreaming of my wedding day, I always thought I would have a limo to transport me to the Church to get married.  Weddings and limos just seemed to go hand in hand to me.  I lusted after the Hummer limos, grand mansions on wheels, and envisioned myself riding in one someday.  Fast forward to my actual wedding day in a little less than a month and I will not be having a limo at all.  Am I disappointed?  No, and here's why: I decided early on in the planning process that I did not need a limo, could not afford the limo of my dreams and really, aren't limos like, so last decade?

I still wanted something though, after all, how would I get to the ceremony (not at a church by the way).  Hubby and I will not be seeing each other until I walk down the aisle to say our vows, so traveling with him was out of the question.  Plus, I wanted to be able to travel to the ceremony venue together with my girls; a nice pre-wedding bonding moment on the road to the alter. I saw so many other brides fore-going the limo as well in preference for either their own vehicles or "party buses and trolleys".  Neat idea, I thought.  With a micro bus, I could also transport my guests who are in need of a ride to the ceremony and reception.  This way, I get more use out of the rental transportation, which means more bang for my buck.

I went about doing what I do best and started researching all the options available out there for micro-buses (basically those mini buses that transport school kids and tourists in Costa Rica).  They are spacious and will do the job. The first company I spoke with was charging c15.000 colones for pick up and drop off only for 15 people.  At first I thought this would work as I would only need transportation to the ceremony.  But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that was too much for too little a time, plus I decided I wanted to transport guests as well.

By chance while on the highway, I saw a micro-bus and jotted the number down to call.  Speaking with the owner put all my worries to rest.  He told me they charged c50.000 colones for their 15 passenger bus for all day, no matter how many trips; c60.000 gets you a 30 passenger bus.  I made an appointment and went with hubby to check out the buses and we were really impressed.  They were spacious, clean and just what we were looking for.  We decided to book the 30 passenger bus for just c10.000 colones more and paid our deposit on the spot.  Cannot wait to ride in style on my wedding day...and our guests will be really impressed as well as appreciative.

We forgot to take a picture of the actual bus we're renting but this is a similar version, a very close look-alike just to give you an idea.

No comments: