Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Thinking About Easter

I haven't even gotten through Boobie's 10th birthday yet and my mind has already gravitated towards the weekend after: EASTER. I tell you, I am a party planning fool. If I didn't have as much good sens as I have, I'd be planning an all out Easter day parade.

I was happy to see that Boobie's school has something planned for Easter the Monday they get back from Holy Week vacation, which is the Monday after Easter Sunday (Holy Week starts the 29th, the kids go back to school on the 5th ... YAY!) I hope parent involvement is encouraged as I want to be apart of that. I wonder how Costa Rican schools celebrate 'Pascua', as they call it. Hmmmm, should be interesting. No Easter Bunnies I am sure. And no egg hunts either.

So what do I have planned for my kids. Well as soon as I can get through Boobie's party, I can fine tune all my Easter details. But so far, I plan on getting the kids nice baskets this year. Pequeno Mundo has nice ones for less than c2.000 colones a piece.

Then of course I will fill the baskets with a few goodies. Nothing extravagant. Last year, on one of the the mom websites I frequent, one mom got her son a cell phone for Easter (among other things). Wow, right? We won't be doing that here. Just a few small outdoor toys. like bubbles (since they finished off the 2 bottles they got for X-mas) and maybe a hula hoop for Princess (although that won't fit in the basket). And of course, some books. For now, not sure what else. Ben 10 stuff for Boobie for sure. And I draw a blank on Fatty. I did, however, already get Princes a Dora wallet and a necklace and earring set (fashion jewelry type) for her basket.

Oh and of course, I'll be putting chocolates in those baskets as well. What's Easter without it.

Then there are the Easter crafts. I haven't thought much about this yet. Last year was fun and simple: we made plastic plate bunnies. I would love to do something equally as fun and simple this year as well.

I am still undecided about the egg hunt part of my plans. Not sure if we'll do an official egg hunt. Last year it was mini, like really small. I hid 2 KinderSorpresas (egg shaped chocolate with a toy inside) in the yard for Boobie and Princess to find.

Maybe we could do a scavenger hunt and give clues for them to find their candies. That could be fun, and make the hunt last longer. I'll have to ponder on that one.

I can only focus on one event at a time. First the party, which is coming together nicely (nice and small just the way I wanted it).

I have about 6 days to plan for Easter after the party, which, in this house, is plenty of time.

As for food, not sure what will be served. Not even 100 percent certain if we'll make it to church this year. I think we just might (after all, it IS Easter.) I miss going to church on Easter Sunday. Since we rarely ever go anymore, it would be a nice tradition to start with the kids.

No comments: