Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chicken Pot pie

I finally made chicken pot pie. No longer is this recipe daunting to me. If I'd known how simple it was, I would have made it years ago. I plan to make it again, sometime in the very near future.




So I started out with some butter and sauteed my onions, scallions and veggies together (this time I used the basics... mixed veggies from a can). I would have preferred either the frozen kind or even fresh. But the can worked fine.



I added the liquid to my veggies; heavy cream (crema dulce in the little blue box), cream of mushroom and a little flour. In the meantime I am boiling my chicken in salted water with some herbs (onions, garlic and thyme) for flavor. Then I used the water from the boiled chicken as stock and added that liquid in too for even more flavor. And I also par-boiled my potatoes (I didn't take those pics).


I worked with the sauce until I got the desired thickness, then I added in my shredded chicken, cheese, and potatoes and herbs (parsley, oregano, etc).


Now it's ready for the pastry dough


Getting the pastry ready for the pot pie


I found an easy as pie dough recipe for pot pie (that I can use for other pastries as well) on Foodnetwork.com that I used. Here I'm just working in the butter into the dough. It was about 3 cups flour and 3 sticks butter, ice cold water, salt and vinegar.





Adding the liquids to my dough



Ready for the oven... almost. Don't forget to put your dough on the bottom too as well as the top of the pot pie filling... that is why you separate the dough into 2 balls.


Princess helping to brush the top with egg wash. Notice the flour on the counter. Well to roll out the dough (after you've refrigerated it for 30 minutes in 2 balls wrapped in plastic wrap), you need a well floured surface and rolling pin so the dough does not stick.


All done... after almost an hour in the oven.


Look at all that creamy goodness. Not a recipe for dieters that's for sure. LOL.


Princess enjoying her piece (she was ready to eat the 'cake', as she called it, since she helped a little).


YUM!


Surprisingly, Boobie LOVED it so much, he asked for seconds and to bring some for lunch the next day. Dude gobbled his down!!


And the last piece of leftover chicken pot pie


going....


going...


Almost gone.


And not to be outdone, some creative recipes I came up a few weeks ago:

Fried tortillas sprinkled with melted cheese and seasonings as a light side or snack


Creamy chicken and Penne for a simple weeknight meal

Thank heavens I am full right now or else I'd be drooling all over this computer screen.

Seriously, try the pot pie recipe. There are a ton of them out there, but simplify it to your lifestyle and tastes. It was so simple (even the dough) and so delicious, you wish you'd made extras. I gave some of mine to the whole world to try (mother in law, father in law, D and her kids) so leftovers were few. But next time I'm using cream of asparagus and broccoli to give my pot pie a different twist and an extra kick.

No comments: