Tuesday, April 6, 2010

EASTER

What a perfect Easter. We had a such a great day on Easter Sunday... it was like being back in Boston. I wasn't surrounded by MY family but I was surrounded BY family and it was wonderful. The kids made out like bandits with their baskets stuffed with loot, a scavenger egg hunt and egg coloring. And not to mention all the chocolate and food. It was perfect.

It was a gorgeous Easter day... hot, sunny, blue skies galore. I made sure that my kids will have memories of a wonderful childhood as they grow older, and hopefully continue on some of the traditions with their children that I started with them.

Now Easter is a BIG deal in my family. We don't hunt eggs or get presents so to speak, but a nice new dress on Sunday, church and lots of food. And of course, in Jamaica, Easter in not Easter with Jamaica bun and cheese. I miss that.

back in Boston, I did all the little things with Boobie when he was younger: the egg hunts, Easter activities and stuff and thought what a great way to stay connected to my life back in Bean town b continuing some of those same traditions with the newest additions to our family. Although Easter is a little different in Costa Rica, it is still a celebration and with my added touches, it makes it a wonderful holiday.


The celebrations started early with a lunch on Holy Thursday hosted by Hubby's aunt:















And as usual, a big holiday celebration like Easter deserves a big fancy meal:

Baked sweet and sour chicken with carrots and herbs


Jamaican style rice and 'peas' (beans) with coconut milk


Creamy potatoes au gratin



But we kicked things off early with a scrumptious breakfast:

Salt-fish


Prepping the french toast


Cream cheese stuffed french toast... which I topped with a drizzle of honey... OMG. It was so light and yummy and delicious. My mouth is watering right now thinking about it.


Next time, I'll fry it in butter... Mmmmmmm!!!!


Fried 'dumplings': a savory fried dough


Making 'bunuelos': fried flour tortillas tossed with cinnamon and sugar



Prepping my skewers


Chocolate covered marshmallows and strawberries



The kids Easter baskets





Boobie's basket


Princess's basket


Fatty's basket


Wow... discovering the baskets





"Lets try out the loot"


Fatty loves his ball





More books


Oh no, someone isn't happy


"Just what I wanted"


YAY!!!


Boobie said it felt like Christmas. LOL


Sitting down to breakfast


OK, time for the scavenger egg hunt...


What does the note say...


Time to search for clues


First clue... looks like the next egg is in the pantry, where mommy keeps the cookies


Searching for an egg inside the couch


Looking at the clue



Running to find the next egg and the next clue


Come on, keep up Fatty


Looks like the next egg is in the yard, lets go...














Lets go find another egg...


In the office, another clue awaits...


Where do I keep the waffles...


... In the freezer, that's where you'll find your next egg





Looks like it's off to the garden











Where will this clue lead to...


... the laundry room


Then it's off to find the next egg in my closet


And finally the surprise...


KINDER SORPRESAS.... YAY!!!
The scavenger was a big hit and I look forward to doing it again next year.


Craft time


What are we making Princess?


Easter chicks


Princess, Boobie and Fatty's Easter chicks


Now it's off to hubby's cousin's where we'll stuff ourselves silly and color eggs


Coloring eggs was so much fun. I cannot wait to do it again next year.














My attempt at decorating my egg





Mr. Egg Head!


Pretty eggs









This was everyone's first time (well, except for the host) coloring eggs. It was so easy and loads of fun


All the finished eggs, sitting pretty


Playing with Barney


The 'Easter' turkey


And no, I did not make it, but it is such a pretty bird and it was delicious.


My Easter Princess


My 3 munchkins

Hope everyone had a great Easter.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings from Connecticut. Thank you for sharing your Easter celebration--the food looks delicious and the children are beautiful!

Rina said...

4 years late but i wanted to say thank you