Friday, April 2, 2010

Holy Week

Can I just say how thankful I was for this week. No school, no homework and sleeping in until 7 am. Niiiiiiiice!!! I will be sad to see it end when Boobie goes back to school on Monday and the little kids start playgroup again. It will be back to the grind for me, with early mornings starting at 5:30 am once again. Oh well, such is my life.

But with the slowed pace of Holy week (every day was like Sunday, with literally hardly any cars on the road since most people were at home reflecting or at the beach partying), comes something else.

Holy Week is well, holy. And therefore, in Costa Rica, that means on Thursday and Friday (the holiest of days, including Sunday) just about EVERYTHING is CLOSED! *Gasp*. Yeah. I am still not used to that. Even being here almost 4 years now, I still am surprised when a store like, say, Pequeno Mundo is closed on Thursday. I get Good Friday, but Thursday. Wow.

I guess it gives us pause and a time to really ponder on the holiday and it's true meaning. Forcing us to take a break from the daily grind (the shopping trips, the outings) and reflect on Jesus' life a little bit. And if you are a Christian, which many Costa Rican's are, you won't mind. After all, out of the 365 days of the year, stores only close maybe 6 days out of that.

I just love the slowed down pace this week. And especially with today being Good Friday, it really feels like a good Friday for sure. No traffic, no extra noise. Just peace and quiet. I am about to go take a walk and do some reflecting of my own.

No comments: