Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Carrots

I've always liked carrots. I think. As a Jamaican child growing up, you learn to like and eat your veggies from a young age, as just about every dish we make has some kind of vegetable in it. Carrots go really well with our popular and traditional Sunday dinner, in the form of Cole slaw. Who doesn't like Cole slaw?

Mostly though, we cook up our carrots. And as a result, as an adult I have come to love cooked up carrots, in everything, from beef stew to chicken and potatoes, to tuna fried rice.

My kids aren't big veggie eaters (what a surprise). But they LOVE carrots. However they only like it raw. Was I missing something. Wasn't it better cooked up, where it's nice and al dente, firm but tender.

But my kids are on to something. Raw carrots are so good. Sweet and crunchy; very tasty. It's like the prefect snack. I rediscovered it and now I can't stop eating it. I just went to the store today and picked up 2 more carrots so I could slice them up for a quick snack for me and the kids.

While I still love my cooked carrots, I will now occasionally indulge in some raw ones too. Looks like Ill be stocking up the orange stuff now.

No comments: