Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My New Toys

I have finally joined the world of cell phone ownership. And it feels good. It's been over 4 years since I've had a cell phone, and before that I had only owned ONE phone, for less than 4 years (it was my first cell phone, a simple little freebie from Sprint for signing a 2 year contract).

I don't know why it took me so long to get a cell. Oh, yes I do know. First off, the phone I wanted was just way too much money for me to drop on something as a cell. And without various companies here trying to lure new customers with unbeatable prices, I was either stuck paying upwards of $400 for a phone or getting something I would not be happy with it. I decided to forgo a cell for a while.

But as my family grew and my life became more hectic, being out and about more often, a cell phone became crucial and I figured I would sign up for a line from ICE.

Being the ONLY company in Costa Rica that supplies phone service, ICE had a wait time of about 6 months to a year for a line. Costa Rica is a small country, a little behind on technology and what with everyone and their mamas signing up for phone service, ICE ran out of lines. So I waited and waited and waited.

In the meantime, I fantasized about what kind of phone I would get; I'm not a bells and whistles kind of gal, so I wanted a simple phone that would not break the bank. I don't need a phone that can pretty much run my life for me, doing everything short of brushing my teeth. I just need a phone (a cute one) that I can make and receive calls on. That's it!

Finally my wait was over and I couldn't run out fast enough to get a phone. The only option available to me for a line was a prepaid one, which is fine by me. I'd rather pay up front anyway... this way you watch your minutes more closely and since you've already paid your bill, you don't have to worry about when it's due. When you run out of minutes, just re-up.

This is the phone I got. Cute, isn't it. It looks similar to my dream phone (the moto razr) with it's sleek design, yet it cost a fraction of the price, at just under $80 bucks. I am in cell pone heaven (for now). And even though I was looking for a simple phone, it does with come with a few bells and whistles, like a camera, a radio and mp3 player. Sweet!




On to another toy I just had to get: a new digital camera. My dream camera has always been a Canon Powershot. I dreamed of the day I would own this camera. And I actually owned one for a day, but when it came to choose between it and my cheapie Panasonic, I was torn and stuck with my old (but still new) cheapie camera.

Now I knew when I bought the Panasonic, it was just an "in the meantime" camera, until I could get the camera I really wanted; the canon Powershot. But I just didn't feel the need to spend that much on a camera, especially since I already had one, so I bided my time.

Well the perfect opportunity for buying my Canon presented itself yesterday. As I was browsing the electronics section at Hipermas to check out their selection of phones (just to compare that I really did get a wicked good deal on my own), I stopped over by the camera section. What do you know: THEY HAD THE CANON POWERSHOT ON SALE FOR c60.000. That's roughly $120 dollars. Yeah, you read that right. A steal, by Costa Rican standards, if you ask me. I had to snatch it up. But I didn't want to make a hasty decision so I went and did my shopping (got the few items I needed to get), thought about it then came back to the camera. After weighing the pros and cons of my decision, I forked over the cash, and in less than 5 minutes flat I was the proud owner of the Canon Powershot A490


I am in love with my new camera, even though I haven't even used it yet. Some might think it was an impulse buy, but after waiting years to purchase this camera, I would say not. I still have to check it out, play with it a little and get used to it. But I am sure it won't disappoint.

And I still won't forget my trusty little Panasonic that has held steady for me for almost a year. I will still use it from time to time... it has proved a good reliable camera and I won't push it off to the side. I will get good usage out of both cameras... how much fun will that be. : )

No comments: