Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pretty Excited

I think I made a 'friend". Yay me!

There's a new girl in Fatty's playgroup class. She just started about a week ago. I didn't think anything of it really, until her mom and I clicked.

Just so happens that her mom used to live in Connecticut, which is a stones throw away (OK maybe a couple of hours) from Boston. That info alone bonded us. We were able to reminisce about the States, the weather, the lifestyle. Her husband still lives there and she is planning on moving back in about a year or so.

It was so easy to talk to her, nothing seemed forced at all. She is so cool and the fact that she lives close by (in the next bordering town) and she speaks English is golden.

She is Tica, but her English is perfect (good enough for conversation and comprehension) as she lived in Connecticut for 4 years.

We've already made plans to hook for play dates, but we're both taking it slow.

Now I have bitched and moaned before about not being able to make any real friends here in Costa Rica, mostly due to the language barrier. One of the key reasons for me joining playgroup was so the I could meet other moms like me with kids close in age to my own, where my kids could get to play with other kids like them. I was excited. But so far, playgroup consisted of the "hi" and "bye" and the easy breezy conversations of a casual acquaintance. Someone you can converse with about minute things but nothing serious to come.

Meeting this new 'friend' might change all that for me. Like any new relationship though, it's just one day at a time and seeing where it goes. I will not rush only to find out we have nothing else in common but the States. I don't want to be disappointed. I look forward to getting to know her better and hopefully a friendship will be formed in the process.

No comments: