Monday, December 7, 2009

Weekend Update

For someone who had nothing planned for the weekend, I sure jam packed it full of stuff to do. I love my home, but getting out once every so often is so much fun.

On Saturday, we headed to downtown San Jose. It was a short trip, but a good one. First I met up with Hubby in San Pedro at UAC , bringing Fatty and Princess with me. Boobie went to San Jose too, but with his grandpa (father in law) because he was going to get a hair cut and pick out his Christmas present.




Our very first stop in San Jose was actually a tourist spot with various artsy stuff and souvenir paraphernalia. We didn't buy anything, just went to browse around. Our purpose in downtown: lunch, although I figured I could maybe do a bit of shopping too.

We had lunch at this new Jamaican restaurant that I've been wanting to try out. I ordered a whole fried fish with Jamaican style rice and beans with coconut milk (to me it's called rice and PEAS) and it came with a salad and fried plantains (patacones).

It was good, not great (I kinda like the other Jamaican place in Zapote better). The service was OK (the kicker for me was the waitress carting away my plate, with my food that I was still eating on it (I had taken Princess to the bathroom and came back to find she had piled 2 other plates on top of mine... phooey!). You know, when there is still food on a customer's plate, common sense dictates to ask first if that person is finished before bussing their plate away. I still had fish and rice and peas on there. Oh well. Also, it took forever to get our meals (they seemed busy with just ONE waitress) and Princess, being the child, got her plate last... she took to eating the lime that came with my fish LOL. All in all though, I would give it another try... the rice and peas was good... fish was enjoyable too.

After lunch, we headed over to a book store to check out some books... they have a large selection of used books IN ENGLISH. I'll be making another visit there for sure. All I bought though was the Tico Times (just so I could check out the calendar section....it paid off... I already have a few events checked off that I want to take the kids to... X-mas events).

Hubby was ready to go, so we walked back to the car and window shopped a bit, stopping to take a few pictures.










After we left the heart of San Jose, we headed back to San Pedro and stopped off at a bike shop (it's actually a sports and athletic store). There, Hubby finally found a bicycle worthy of being Boobie's Christmas gift. With one year guarantee and 3 months free bike service, we just couldn't pass on the deal. It was about c12.000 colones more than I had budgeted to spend on Boobie's bike, but according to Hubby, it is worth it. The actual bike was already sold, so we put our purchase on lay-a-way for when they get the exact same bike, we can go pick it up before Christmas.

Not done shopping just yet, we headed a stone's throw away (almost) to Curridabat to Toys toy store. I had more thing to do... look at cars for Princess.

To my surprise, the Barbie Jeep I had been salivating over and dreaming of buying her for X-mas was for a reasonable price, so I wasted no time. I only had about C50.000 colones on my person, so I wanted to know about putting the car on lay-a-way too. How much to put it away... C50.000 colones. I'll take it! I have to pick it up this coming weekend. I could jump for joy.

Sunday was a blast. I'll have to post pictures in another blog as I don't want this blog to get too long. But thanks to Tico Times, I found out about the Kids Expo at the Children's Museum. What drew me in was the special presentation/show with the Sesame Street characters Elmo, Ernie and Cookie Monster. We had nothing planned for Sunday, so I decided we would go to that. Hubby was busy, so I went solo with the kids.

We were there for over 4 hours; there was so much for the kids to do and for only C2.000 entry. And there were so many freebies and giveaways : )

They had free cookies, candy, juice, popcorn, cotton candy, teddy bears, games for the kids to play (Wii and Nintendo DS), prizes, more games, moon bounces, a playground, coloring, painting, more games, food (on sale), a show with farm animals, and the list goes on.

By the time we got home it was past 6 and we were beat... Princess had fallen asleep and even Fatty had taken a nap earlier in the day, tired from all the fun. It was just a day well spent. This time of year in Costa Rica there is just so much to do... you really only need to find the time to do it.

No comments: