Monday, February 8, 2010

Football And A Presidential Election

I have to admit, I have turned a pretty blind eye to the presidential race here in Costa Rica. It's not that it won't affect me (as it will, since I live here.) But seeing as I barely understand politics as is, I could hardly understand Cost Rican politics any better.

All I knew was what I saw and heard. I knew the 2 front runner candidates: Laura and Otto. As they had the most money (I assume) to pour into their campaigns, I saw their faces and flag colors all over San Jose... Laura's colors are green and white and her face was splashed just about every where, from front lawns to huge billboards. Otto, the serious looking face of a man who meant business, had colors of red and orange.

People all over were flying the flags from their houses and cars. People had posters and stickers on their windows and doors. And yesterday, as I headed out on my errand run, there was a LONG line of vehicles heading to the polls to vote for their favorite candidate. Horns were honking and people were out waving flags and getting everyone excited about the big election, as many waited HOURS in line just to vote.

This morning I found out who won... a woman. Costa Rica's first female president: Laura Chinchilla. I kind of knew she would win. I just had an inkling, even though I wasn't following the election. But I had a feeling she was the favorite (and if I had watched the news, I would have found out that she was).

That was not the only big news I had to digest. While Costa Rica is celebrating it's monumental victory (I hope this Laura lady does a better job than the last guy, who happens to be her 'buddy'... sorry), America was recovering from one of the most exciting games in Super Bowl history.

Yes, I watched the Superbowl last night and I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. I was so into the game, you would have thought the Patriots were playing. I am a New England Patriots fan. Go Pats! But since they didn't make it to the big game this year, I had to root for the underdog as I know what it's like being a fan of an underdog team . Believe it or not, the Pats were once underdogs too... remember?

Anyway, I am not that big into football unless the Pats are playing a big game, so why did I decide to watch Superbowl 44? One day while I was watching the news (American news on Amnet), I found out the Saints were heading to the Superbowl for the first time ever!!! Once I heard their story I knew I wanted them to win... plus Reggie Bush is one of their players. I like Reggie.

The Saints had it rough. Considered so bad at one time, fans wore bags over their heads and called them the Aint's.

I wanted them to win so badly. And you know what? THEY WON!!! Against the COLTS no less... I was so freaking happy. I just love a Cinderella story. I was shouting at the top my lungs (well, not that loud, sleeping kids and all, but I was definitely jumping for joy).

It was such an exciting game. My heart was racing. And when it was over, I was happier than a pig in sloth. I wished it had been the Patriots, but I can hope for next year. For now, I can be happy for the Saints and the State of New Orleans and Louisiana. They deserved it. Congrats. Way to go. Good job.

No comments: