Monday, August 17, 2009

The Bus System

Unlike Boston, the buses in Costa Rica run pretty often, depending on the time of day and the day of the week. They run on average about every 15 to 30 minutes, but by chance or on schedule, you can get a bus every 5 minutes around rush hour on the weekdays; in the mornings when most people are heading to school and work or in the evenings when most everyone is coming home.

I have never had to wait more than an hour for a bus... not even on the weekends, when the buses run a little less frequently.

And unlike Boston, the buses in Costa Rica go practically EVERYWHERE... even to the beach!!! If you live in a bodunk suburb and you have no car in Boston, you're either stuck around town or forced to take the Commuter rail. Not here. Although Costa Rica has no commuter train system to speak of (though I did hear there is a train from San Jose to Sabana), the bus will take you wherever you need to go.

My sister in law took the bus to Guanacaste. A 5 hour bus ride... she says it's 4. She went to Liberia, the center, and had no problems. The bus schedule is clearly posted so as not to confuse and so you have a clear idea of what times the bus operates. We've also taken the bus to Jaco beach once before. And when we went to Puerto Viejo, Limon, there was a bus stop, to and from San Jose, just a few hundred feet away from our hotel. Talk about convenient.

Although taking the bus isn't as convenient or time efficient like having a car, it is effective in getting you to your desired destinations, most of the time.

Watch out for traffic though, as traficc in Costa Rica is horrendous, even rivaling Boston. When you can get stuck in traffic here on at 1o am on a Saturday morning , you kow it's bad. But I prefer being in traffic on the bus than in a car.... way less stressful.

There are no paper scedules to follow, dictating route or time of arrival and departure for each bus. You kind of just figure it out, and when busses run so frequent, who needs a schedule anyway? ALso, unlike Boston, their 'schedule' is pretty much on point. I have spent up to an hour and more waiting for a bus in Norwood on a Sunday. Frustrating, especially when the schedule shows that same bus was supposed to arrive in 45 minutes.

Another great thing about the buses here, as if I haven't sang their praises enough, is that they are cheap. Where I live, the fare is c235 colones. That roughly translates to less than .50 cents. Sweet!

Many times I wished I had my own car to run around in (especially with 3 kids, what a blessing that would be), but I am thankful for the bus system. I get where I need to go and get there safely.

I mean the system isn't perfect, by any means. Boy do I hate those damn electronic bars they have placed at every single door on every single bus. It supposedly counts the number of people that get on and off the bus.. a way to keep track of the bus fare. But seriously.... get another system!!! When I had to pay for my 2 year old daughter, I wondered why they don't just set a damn age limit and be done with it. In Boston, I believe under 4 was free, 4 to, I think, 11 was half price. To avoid paying for my daughter and my stroller, (yes, sometimes I had to pay for my stroller as that electronic bar counts it as a person) I would have to lift them both up in my arms and wiggle my way though the very tight opening, made even smaller by the bars.

Also, someone please get those bus drivers a more effective way to store their money. They actually use a huge sponge with opening cut into it to store the various coins. The sponge is strapped next to the driver with a belt like strap. Instead of those electonic bars, get an electronic money dispenser like in Boston and call it a day.... however, that poses another problem. Something I love about the buses here, is that they actually give you change. Unlike Boston. In Boston, if you give the driver $2 dollars, even though the fare is only a dollar, you don't get your change back. Sorry. But Here, if you give c2.000 colones when the fare is only c500 colones, you get back your change. No fuss, no fight.

They are behind the times too with the old ass buses from a million ages ago. They work, but they pollute like nobody's business. I noticed the police got brand spanking new cars, courtesy of the Japanese, or was it the Chinese government? Well, can someone pony up the change for some more up to date, newer buses? Hey, Mass, send some of your buses this way... except leave that automatic fare collector behind... I like getting my change back.

And if I have the extra loot to spare, I can just jump in a taxi.... start off fare, less than a dollar and I never pay more than $10 to get anywhere I need to go in taxi, ever!

No comments: