Thursday, August 13, 2009

Happy Birthday To You

Today is my mother in law's birthday and I had completely forgotten... again. Thankfully I was reminded early enough that I could run out and buy her a gift.

Sister in law came in today to let me know that her brother's wife had called and informed her that they would show up at 6 pm to surprise mother in law with a cake. At that point it dawned on me... It's her birthday and I had to get her gift. I had been so preoccupied with Mother's Day coming up, her birthday had totally slipped my mind.

So sister in law decided she would cook Arroz con Pollo (rice with chicken). And I decided to go along with her to pick up the ingredients and get a little gift for mother in law.

Shopping for my mother in law is a task. It's either hit or miss, a 50/50 chance of getting the right gift. I hate getting her stuff for her kitchen sometimes because she has a lot of everything already... unless it's something I see her 'eyeing' specifically: like the canister set I got her for Christmas because I saw that she wanted them. I am hard pressed to find her something she will actually love.... and it's even harder because she is such a good gift giver.

I remember one year I got her a nice blouse. It was a bit too big so I had to return it... but instead of telling me to get a smaller size, she asked for something else. I don't blame her; if it wasn't her style and would end up sitting in her closet, I am glad she voiced her opinion on it.

I usually try and get her something she'll use... most likely body creams, perfumes and lotions. So I set out to find her a nice gift pack, filled with smelly lotions and perfumed powders. Something nice, not too 'young' and something she would defintely use. But with the different selections to choose from and the different prices, ranging from pretty cheap to pretty expensive, I was 'con-fuddled'. I couldn't pick just one. And then I didn't want to be stuck with something that she might not like and to have wasted all that money...

I went to Mas x Menos (owned by Walmart) and struck out. My next bet was Hipermas or one of the many little stores in my town center. Thankfully Hipermas had a better selection of gifts to choose from with a much larger price range (Hipermas, also owned by Walmart is bigger and therefore has a larger selection of 'stuff'.)

I looked at everything, just to give myself an idea of what my mother in law might like. I looked in the household section, scanned the shoe-wear department and even checked out more perfume gift packs. But it finally came to me... what about a nice elegant purse for her to wear! I know she likes purses, who doesn't really? (don't answer that). After not finding anything that struck my fancy with body splashes and scented body creams, I headed to the purse section. I was looking for something affordable yet stylish. Sleek, but user friendly. It took me a few minutes but I finally settled on a nice, small, simple black suede purse that I knew she would like to have... something to wear on evenings out when the occasion called for a more formal look.



I was proud of my purchase (admittedly more so because of the price tag) and even threw in a small gift pack of scented heart shaped soaps as a finishing touch.

Now I look forward to trying to find her something for Mother's Day, just one day away.

No comments: