Monday, August 24, 2009

How We Got So Lucky...

I have no idea. Super blessed as we are, I am so thankful for this year so far. But how we managed to go on yet another vacation this year is beyond belief and just amazing.

While we spent most of 2008 on the home-front, barely venturing far enough to get any R and R at all, we've managed three full out, all out, family vacations in less than 6 months this year alone. That's a lot, especially when most people, if they're lucky, go on just one.

It's not like we're rolling in dough this year as opposed to last. Mostly, 2008 was spent with me being pregnant and uncomfortable and it was also a year of poor budgeting on my part. This year, with a new attitude and outlook, we managed a trip to Limon, then Guanacaste and just recently, on the 22nd, we all went on a trip to La Fortuna San Carlos...town of the world famous and always active Arenal Volcano.

It was a trip planned by my brother in law and father in law... a trip we almost missed out on. And what a trip it was. The first time in 9 years I have been on vacation with my in laws. It was a scenic and pleasant trip... made very comfortable because we rented a micro bus (mini bus) that seated up to 15 people. We had so much room for us and our mountain of stuff (when traveling with kids, one must over-pack). Also, with hubby not having to drive, I had him right next to me to converse with and help out with Fatty from time to time.

We made 2 pit stops before arriving to our destination. First one was to check out my brother in
law's newly purchased 1/2 hectare land (roughly about an acre or so). It was about half way to our destination point,



The river just a few feet from brother in laws property



A piece of the property to the left


A view of the property (VERY small piece) from the front


Located in a very small and secluded neighborhood, it looked like the perfect country setting to raise children. I was so in love with the land. It has so much potential and it's so big, the possibilities are endless. But we couldn't stay for too long admiring the property. We had to head off to our destination.

The next stop we made was the center of La Fortuna to have lunch. We had a nice view of the volcano and the park was situated right across the street from the restaurant where we lounged for a bit before and after our meal.



Volcan Arenal


La Fortuna Park

Our hotel, Las Cabanitas Resort and Spa, was modest. It had individual little cabins lined up in a row on neatly manicured lawns, sprinkled with flora and fauna. At the entrance, sharing space with the reception desk, was the dining area, where they would serve us breakfast. There were two pools, a kiddie pool and one for the older crowd, though not too deep. And to our delight, a soccer field right behind us, the wall bordering our cabins. Twice, hubby had to kick back soccer balls over the wall.

It was pleasant enough. Nothing fancy. No frills but perfect for a family, with 2 beds in each room, a mini fridge and cable TV. And glorious hot water, in the shower and from the faucet in the sink. Although La Fortuna was hot enough for a cold shower the day we arrived.

With 7 adults and 7 kids, 4 of them under 4 and 2 babies, we got 3 rooms. Hubby and I were in one with our brood. Sister in law shared with her parents and her two kids and brother in law was in a room with his wife and 2 kids and their their dog Tookie, who they brought with them on vacation.

We played around in the pool to cool off and then headed off to find the best hot water springs. The whole reason to go to San Carlos is to get a good view of the volcano and enjoy a dip in the thermal waters. That was the main attraction for us anyway.... but for many tourists, La Fortuna is an adventurers dream as the town abounds with various outdoor activities like canoeing, white water rafting, ziplining, rappeling, etc.

We settled on Los Lagos resort, at around $10 per person, half price for kids, babies free. It was beautiful inside, with a crocodile 'lake', and a butterfly and frog garden (closed by the time we got to them though) and various fish ponds and wildlife. The resort had a family friendly vibe. But since we were there to enjoy the pools, we did. We stayed for a bit, to get our money's worth. And boy was it worth the money.

The hot water was really hot. I felt like I was exercising the whole time I was in there, my heart racing, sweating like a pig. I had to get out a few times just to catch my breath. But it felt so good. I even went down the slide once. How much fun that was.... what a rush.

Heading back to the hotel, we ordered pizza for dinner (I managed to hungrily polish off 3 slices) and I had 3 cans of Smirnoff Ice, 2 too many for me. After we all had stayed up chatting for a bit on brother in laws front porch after all the little ones were in bed, I knocked out sometime around midnight. I was exhausted!


The Cabins


The pool


Los Lagos Resort


The crocodile




A view of the volcano from Los Lagos



The trip was fun. It was worth it just to enjoy the hot water springs, and see the volcano, if nothing else. But the town of La Fortuna is nice too... although I would not want to actually live there. No matter that the name means 'The Fortune". Just something about being that close in proximity to a live volcano is enough to keep me awake most nights.

As much as vacations are relaxing, they are tiring as well.... the somewhat longer drive home helped me make up some missed sleep. And boy was I glad to be back home. An early morning start on Saturday and little sleep that night with another early morning on Sunday left me drained. I was ready for the sanctity of my own home, where I could unpack, relax and just be.

And as the year draws closer to the end, I have to say 2009 has been a great year thus far. And if we don't take another vacation this year, that's fine with me. I have been blessed enough already.

But already hubby is talking about going to Puntarenas on vacation in September... now wouldn't that be fun...LOL ; )





No comments: