Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Need New Shoes

This post is not, in any way, reference to the previous post about my Princess, the diva. Yes, she has made me realize just how few choices I have when it comes to footwear. But I think I had realized that a long time ago.

I have lived in Costa Rica over 3 years and I have never bought myself a pair of shoes. Ok, that's a tiny white lie. I did buy a pair when I first moved, but that was over 2 years ago. And I am not counting flip flops and sandals.

Father in law was gracious enough to take me shoe shopping for Christmas last year where I picked out the most darling suede and fur like boots.

But I need more options, like my little diva. I need more shoes.... or more accurately put, I WANT more shoes.

Not to mention the shoes I do have, most of which I brought with me from Boston, are a bit on the smaller side now, my feet having grown maybe a few inches with the 2 consecutive pregnancies.

Hubby has told me to buy myself a pair. But it's been difficult shoe shopping. I can't find what I want for the price I want to pay. I've been looking for a few weeks now for a pair of cute and affordable ballet flats with no luck. The ones I want are either too expensive or don't fit. I don't know why it's taken me so long to find some decent pairs of shoes. I need new boots and new wedges. And even as I lust over certain pairs, I have yet to purchase any of them. Back in Boston, if I saw a pair I liked and the price was right, I bought it. No hesitation.

For some reason, I find it daunting to buy shoes here. It's not like shoes are THAT much more expensive. I have seen shoes for c10.00 ($17) and below. Reasonable in my book. So what the hell is wrong with me? Why do I find it so hard to shoe shop?

I think I know what the problem is. I live in flip flops. Literally. I wear flip flops morning, noon and night, everyday for almost every occasion. I wear them rain or shine. I have 2 that I alternate between. My dressier black ones with the yellow flowers on top and my more casual tan ones with the black straps. I wear them with jeans, with skirts and capris. They are comfortable. And since I stay home most of the time, I don't have much of an occasion to wear boots and such. Besides a birthday party or so here and there, not much going in my life right now that requires me to dress fancy. Not that I ever needed an excuse to dress up before... just picking up Boobie from school was excuse enough.

But somehow things have changes, and I find myself clinging to what's comfortable. My ever trusty flip flops. Maybe I need to buy some fancy new boots or high heeled wedged sandals that are just as comfy as my flip flops. Then I won't have much of an excuse. I promise I won't take a leaf from Princess's book though... one shoe for the day is good enough for me.

No comments: