Monday, August 31, 2009

My Home!

Come Take a tour


A place to have parties



The yard



Boobie's room




Princess's room



The playroom/sun room



I love my house. I will admit, I do have a sort of love/hate relationship with it... but it boils down to the simple fact that I truly do love my house.

It's small and it's many faults do tend to piss me off. It's roughly about 1600 square feet (150 meters). It's lacking a dining room, so no table for family dinners (we use the breakfast bar).

There are no windows on one whole side of the house. The kitchen is inadequate and on the small side and the bathrooms are lacking. There is no hot water throughout the entire house, except for the showers (and even then the hot water is hooked up electrically). And it's only a 3 bedroom, with the rooms being on the small side.

Things are falling apart or have simply stopped working after 3 years. For example, the light in my master bath, and I use the word 'master' lightly as there really is nothing master about it, has not worked in months. The shower in the kids bathroom has no hot water currently. The roof leaks, the walls seep water on one side of the house and a small part of the roof in the sun room/playroom fell out. The list goes on and on. So why, you must ask, do I love this house then. It's simple really: it's my house! And I have come to love (almost) everything about it. From every nook to every cranny, from it's inadequacies to it's strengths.

Home ownership was just a dream back in Boston. One we couldn't obtain.... not while we were there anyway. I never thought at my age, we would be homeowners (at 26 I was still stuck in a rented apartment with no end in sight). Yet it was a dream of mine... the all American one that most people wish about.

The fact that my children will grow up in a home is a big deal to me. The fact that Boobie has his own room is something so special I don't think he even realizes just how special it is. Growing up, I shared a room with my siblings, and there was a time I had to share a bed with them as well. Forget about having my own room... it wasn't until my father moved out and my sister went off to college that I finally got my own room, in high school.

There are a few things about my house that I just absolutely HATE, like my floors. But there are so many other things that I just LOVE. I love my big front door. I love the big windows. I love the paint color and the open layout. I love the hallway. I love the fact that I have an office AND a playroom for the kids. I love the closets (even though we are lacking on closet space, the closets in the kids' bedrooms are pretty big). And I love the yard most of all. It's huge and perfect for energetic kids and dogs. There are so many trees in the yard too. And the grass is so lush and green, I can lay out there for hours. I also love the fact that our house is set far back from the street, away from all the noise of traffic and nosey neighbors.

Ideally, if I could get my wish, I would make the house bigger by adding a second floor and another bedroom, change the floor plan around a little and expand out to the back by adding a porch for lazy days to relax. But for now, I am quiet content with my house. It does need some work after just 3 years (thanks to the guys who built it without caring about doing a good job), but it's a safe place for me to lie my head and after a long day, it feels good to come home.

I was reading an article in the Health magazine I borrowed from the library about how to make your home stress free by achieving that spa feeling. I feel my home is definitely relaxing. When I go away on vacation, I am always happy to come back to my home. I walk in the door and the familiarity hits me right away. Even my kids are happy to come home after an absence. The baby notices when he's home, he knows the surroundings and the scent and is as happy as a baby can be.

To top it off, I keep my home fairly tidy and relatively clean, so it's always a welcome sight to open the door, plop on the couch and relax. It's my very own spa. It's a sanctuary and I love it.

No comments: