Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Birthday Boy!

It's official. My baby turns 1 today. It's an exciting day for me, not as sad as I initially thought it would be. After all, he is my (very much likely) last baby and today is his first birthday. He will officially be a toddler soon enough; walking, running and mouthing off, just like his sister. I just didn't know if I was prepared for all that. And yet, I am surprisingly calm about it all. And extremely happy.

I get to celebrate yet another birthday. A milestone birthday. A one year old's birthday, The 1st birthday.

First birthdays are a big deal to me. Scratch that. They are a HUGE deal to me. I get that some people might think I am crazy for going all out for a one year old's birthday when they are too little to know much let alone remember it. But I will remember it and of course there are the pictures, which come in handy for jogging a child's memory. I have always thought the 1st birthday to be significant, even more so than other birthdays to come. And you know me, I love birthdays. Why would I pass up the chance to celebrate one?

So today, I have a few things planned. Though his party is a few weeks away (looking forward to that), I still want to celebrate my baby on his actual day of birth. I get one more chance to do it up big for the first time.

I'll take him to get his 1st year pictures done (tradition in this family... every year the birthday child gets their picture taken professionally... Boobie now does school pictures.)

Then I, of course, want him to have a new outfit for that... another tradition... the birthday child gets a new outfit to wear for photos and for the party.

I am also attempting to bake cupcakes. I have never baked cupcakes before so I am pretty excited about this. I just might add it to the list of birthday traditions.

And I will most definitely take a ton of pictures and some video (these are memories worth remembering).

I am just so happy. And I think the shock of my baby turning 1 might hit me later, after the festivities. But thankfully, today is not my only chance to celebrate Fatty's big day. In about 3 weeks, I get to celebrate the little man again at his party. A fun filled day of cake, games, face painting and fun, fun , fun at the Children's Museum. I can't wait. I wonder if he'll be walking by then.

No comments: