Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Why?

Why is it that Boobie can take 10 minutes putting on his socks, 20 minutes just to dry off and another 30 to get dressed. Oh and there's the 5 extra minutes it takes him to put on his shoes.

I have never met someone who dresses as sloooooooooooooooooow-ly as my son does. And it drives me insane. And to top it off, he only seems to dress this slow when he's getting ready for school in the mornings. On the weekends, he can get dressed in a matter of seconds.

I have done everything, short of actually dressing him myself... OK, I have actually done that once or twice or a few times. But I cannot watch him get dressed every single day. I am busy too. I have morning chores to take care of. If I watched him get dressed, I would be falling behind like he does.

Every morning, I have to remind him NOT to take forever in the shower. We all love a long, hot shower, especially on those cold days, just to knock the chill off . But Boobie will stay under the shower, letting the water beat over his head for an unseemly amount of time. I remember one morning, as I laid in bed breastfeeding Fatty, Boobie stayed in the shower for almost 45 minutes. He was barely able to get out the door on time for school.

Why doesn't he get it? He's a boy after all. It's not like he has THAT much to do. He styles his hair in less than 5 minutes, so he doesn't have much to do there. But why on Earth does it take him that long to actually get dressed? I have never seen anyone dry off for such a long period of time like my Boobie does.

It's definitely a mystery as to why, after all this time, he still refuses to get dressed in a timely fashion. I'll give him credit for the days he is dressed promptly and out the door by 6:30... that is a record ladies and gents. Most often than not though, he's usually scrambling out the house at 6:55... leaving him an inch of a second from tardiness.

Way back, when he was in Kindergarten, I had issues with him getting ready too. Back then, I got him dressed. I would give him a quick bath or shower and occasionally wash his hair (at that time, he had long luscious curls that took forever to comb, style and then dry). Then when it came time to actually dress him, he complained about his socks (they were too itchy). He complained about his shirts (the tags were too itchy). He complained about his pants, not sure if they were also too itchy. Once, when his shoe was untied, it took him 15 minutes just to tie it... we were right outside his school and were early for a change. That tying incident made him almost late (and yes I could have just tied his shoe for him, but then what would I be teaching him, really).

I really hope he gets control of his mornings soon, because in the near future he'll be responsible for himself. I don't forsee myself being THIS involved in his am routine when he's 15. Plus I'll have two other little ones to tend to. I just hope Princess and Fatty are a little better at getting ready than he is.

No comments: