Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Can You Believe It!!!!

My father in law was robbed. It happened on Sunday and it pissed me off. Why do these people think it's OK to rob an elderly man. A man who worked hard his entire life for all he has?

Thankfully he's alright, just a little roughed up. They stole his jewelry and all his money, almost $300.

He went to the ATM, an ATM I use frequently. After exiting the ATM, he was told to get in a car with 4 people, two women up front, two guys in back. One of the guys put their hands around his neck, and they robbed him. Lucky for my father in law, all they wanted were his possessions and not his life. So he escaped unscathed ( a lot of people aren't so lucky.)

I am beginning to be afraid of living in Costa Rica. These thugs scare me. Although father in law didn't see a gun, I have heard stories about people being robbed at gun point, my mother in law included, and it frightens me. I am usually naive about my surroundings, thinking I am safe. I don't want to have to go through such an experience. But I know it's not just Costa Rica. It happens everywhere, even in the States.

My father in law seems to be a target though, as he's been robbed twice before in Boston. And when I was 3 months pregnant with Boobie, I was almost robbed too.

I was coming home from work one night, walking with hubby, as we sometimes did, when 3 guys came upon us, one brandishing a knife, the other threatening us with a gun, supposedly hidden in his sweater pocket. Thankfully, hubby is a quick thinker and we were able to back onto the front porch of the house behind us and ring the doorbell, which scared the robbers off. The homeowner, a guy, was so shocked a robbery almost took place on his front steps, he kindly gave us a ride home, less than 5 minutes away to our apartment. That night shook me up and I carry that terror and fear with me now. I was lucky that I wasn't actually robbed. But now living in Costa Rica, I fear it is closer to happening to me than it was when I lived in Boston.

So I 'll have to change the way I do a few things. I have already stopped wearing my flashy gold jewelry on a daily basis. Now when I go to the ATM, I will have to hide my cards and my cash. And I must always, every time, be aware of my surroundings. Too often, I get caught up in a daydream and lose myself, not really paying attention to what is happening around me. I know anyone can get robbed. At anytime and anywhere. So I have to be on my guard.

I also strongly believe that if you look like a target, you will become a target. My father in law is a flashy person... gold rings on each finger, nice gold chain around his neck and always dressed to the 9's when he's out, no matter where he's going. He's older too, and often alone. I try not to attract attention to myself, although it's hard. But I don't think about being a victim, and in that mindset, I bring an aura about me that I hope will prevent robbers from seeing me as a target and leave me alone.

The downside to being robbed in Costa Rica... you can kiss your goods 'goodbye'. The police are no help and most likely, you will never see your belongings again. But like father in law said, they are just material things. He's OK, and that is all that matters.

No comments: