Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What's Coming Up?

I seem to have a jam packed schedule in the works. It's not really definite, as most 'future' plans aren't. But I am excited and terrified, at the same time, about it.

First, I have
got to get through Fatty's birthday party. I still owe about half the money (you only pay 50% down when you book the party, you pay the rest at the party). As soon as that is over, I can focus my attentions on my other up-coming plans.

It seems that as soon as September rolls around, the realization that the holiday season is upon us comes flooding in like a bucket of rain water on our heads.

There's Halloween. Not a big deal in Costa Rica like it is in the states, but I still like to 'celebrate' now and then, for the kids. It's fun!!! What's not fun about dressing up and getting free candy?

Then of course, there's Thanksgiving. Now T-day isn't celebrated at all in Costa Rica. After-all, it is a North American holiday. But I like to think people can still celebrate a Thanksgiving day, as there is so much for us to be thankful for. So I have plans for that.

Then there's the biggest holiday of all, Christmas. It seems the holidays take so long to get here and when they do, it's a whirlwind. They come and go so fast, they make my head spin. So this year I am trying to enjoy the season, not rush and take it one day at a time.

I noticed that stores already have all their Christmas decorations and
knick knacks up for sale already. Since Costa Rica doesn't celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving, the X-mas season comes faster than usual, in August. They just skip over everything and jump right into Christmas. And it's BIG in Costa Rica. I mean HUGE!!!! I love Christmas, so the bigger the celebration, the better. As for the fact that they start the celebration so early, I am not complaining at all. I love to shop and any excuse to start shopping early is OK by me.

But this year, I have to take it slow and focus on one holiday at a time, not to get ahead of myself. I just don't want to feel overwhelmed by it all.

So first up,
Fatty's birthday. I am actually anxious to get this over with. I should have gotten it over with last weekend, but alas, I have at least 2 more weekends to go before I can focus my attention anywhere else.

Once his birthday is out of the way, I can start Christmas shopping (YAY!!!). But then too, I also can Halloween shop. I am NOT throwing a party this year. I just don't want to spend the extra money and put in all that extra time. With
Fatty's birthday and the fast approaching holiday season, I do not want to waste money on a party for Halloween when that money can be put to better use and spent on something more meaningful. I do plan to get the kids some (cheap) costumes though. And I'm crossing my fingers that there is a celebration or party somewhere I can take the kids to so they can show off their costumes (and have fun too).

After Halloween I can start planning for
Thanksgiving, which will be on the 26th of November this year. I am crossing my fingers Hubby won't have to work so we can have a proper meal, at a decent hour. I have a nice dinner planned and hope to invite a few guests.... to make it officially a real Thanksgiving, complete with all the trimmings. I don't have a set menu yet, but I know it includes a turkey and at least 1 or 2 desserts. I guess after Halloween I can plan a menu for my Turkey day festivities. I just hope I have a nice turnout. But first I need to figure out who to invite.

All the while, as I prepare for
Halloween and T-day, I plan on shopping for Christmas. It's bad to leave all the shopping for the last minute... trust me. It's not wise, not with 3 kids to shop for. I have to make my list of people I need to buy for this year too... thankfully it has gotten smaller in recent years.

I want to shop for my kids first though, just to get that out the way and off my mind. Then once they are done I can start shopping for everyone else. And with the list of what I need to buy for kids this year, I hope I have enough time and money to get it all done. I plan to start with the smaller stuff first, since they seem easier to shop for. Then the bigger gifts can wait to be purchased closer to Christmas.... just in case any returns need to be made.

I am truly excited... and with the Christmas we had last year, it will be hard to top as it was as close to perfect as any Christmas we'd ever had. But I look forward to it. It's my favorite time of year (
OK, second to the kids birthdays). But oh, how do I love the Holidays, Christmas especially. And just to imagine the season, with all it's wonder and merriment... it's such a magical time to be a child...young or old.

No comments: